Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GYG: Time to Pull out All the Stops Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's just occurred to me that I haven't actually shown you lot any of my compositions!

Here's one I used in my RCM application.

ReputationRep:
    Weekend (11-12 November)

For the first time in forever I’m actually pretty happy with how the weekend went. The GYG blog has really been helping. I got a solid amount of uni work done (I maybe should have done more on Saturday), I got back into doing yoga and today I did 60 French flashcards which is way more than I’ve done the last few days. Tomorrow morning, I have quite a late start so I plan on doing some yoga and an Assimil french lesson before uni.

Reflection

So it’s been a little over a week since I started this blog and I’ve already noticed a difference in the amount of work I’m doing. Eventually, I what to become a model student but that won’t happen overnight. It would be like never going to the gym and lifting the heaviest weights; It’s not gonna go well! I’ll therefore set myself a small, achievable changes to my lifestyle or study method each week and, over time, these changes should accumulate until I become the student I know I can be!

Goal for next week
    Every day go to bed before midnight

ReputationRep:
    Monday, 13 November

I think I’m getting ill. I’ve had a really sore throat today and on my commute, I couldn’t look down at my french flashcards without feeling slightly sick. I also tried to do some yoga after I woke up and 10 mins in my brain was telling me that I really need to stop. I’ve got quite a bit to do this week so I’m gonna need to get a bunch done tomorrow so that, if I get any worse, I can relax. Apart from a sore throat, it’s not really affecting me at the moment so I really need to take advantage of that while it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday, 14 November - Friday, 17 November

Monday-me was right; I was getting ill. Fortunately, due to getting work done earlier in the week, I managed to complete both of the weeks’ assignments before I got too ill.

I didn’t have any classes on Tuesday so I dedicated that day to composing. I decided to redo my composition for the National Portrait Gallery concert as, while it was an interesting idea, writing a piece which uses 1-d Perlin noise wasn’t for me – it was tedious to write and I had to make too many compromises to make the piece fit the noise function. However, I did use some of the ideas from that piece in the new version so it wasn’t a waste of time. I had a composition lesson the next day so I’m really glad that I managed to get the piece done by then so that I could get some feedback before the deadline. Over the weekend, I'll tidy up the score and change the last few bars.

Wednesday felt like a really long day. I woke up at 7:30, had my composition lesson at 9:30 and then immediately went to my 'composing with sequencer' lesson on the 4th floor (thank goodness RCM has a lift)! After the lesson, I was planning on staying in the composition suite to finish off the assignment that we were working on in class, but at that point, I was feeling pretty ill and needed to get some fresh air. Ideally, I would have gone home and slept but I had to wait around at RCM for a few hours due to a composition faculty class about writing for organ. RCM recently got a new organ and there's a competition to write a piece for it and have it performed. While it's a really exciting opportunity it's unlikely that I'll be selected as only 3 people are chosen and I'm competing with everyone from 1st-years to post-grads!

During the gap between classes, I had some lunch and went to the library to work on the bibliography for a Historical Studies essay. For some reason, they’ve decided to break up the Historical Studies essay into 3 different assignments; a bibliography with two 200-word evaluations on why you picked two of your sources, an essay plan (literally just bullet points, I might do it this Sunday), and the essay itself which will be roughly 1500 words. I normally struggle with essays but they gave us a long list of essay questions to choose from and I found one that I really like to do with how avant-garde composers have used mathematics in their works which should be really easy to write about. In the evening, I finished writing the annotated bibliography. I probably stayed up a little too late finishing it but I really wanted to get it done so that as I only had to focus on the composing with sequencer assignment on Thursday. Also, I wanted to make sure that it was really good as I was really disappointed with the mark I got for my previous Historical Studies assignment (2:2). Luckily, this module doesn't count towards the final degree classification; It's just a prerequisite for next year so I only need a pass (50%).

On Thursday, I had a much-needed lie-in. At this point, I was feeling quite a bit worse but I had a lesson and I needed to finish my composing with sequencer assignment.

Going on Friday was a complete mistake though. I only had one lesson and I had to wake up at 7:00. By the time I got back home, I was coughing multiple times per minute and felt absolutely dreadful ☹. I relaxed for the rest of the day which I think was definitely needed! At 15:00, I had a wonderful nap which ended up lasting 3 hours! 😊

Tag List
    To be notified of when I post. Just let me know if you what to be added (or removed).

ReputationRep:
    Saturday, 18 November – Tuesday, 21 November

As I was still ill, I focused on having a restful weekend. Recently, I’ve really missed doing maths. In secondary school, I loved doing Senior Maths Challenge papers so I’ve decided to start going through ‘A Primer for Mathematics Competitions’ so that I can get better at those types of questions. Over the weekend, I also finished the solo violin piece I was working on.

Last Sunday, I set myself the goal of going to bed before midnight… that ended up happening maybe 4/7 times. This week I plan on making it 6/7 times (I went to bed at 2:30 am yesterday).

Yesterday was just a normal day – nothing too interesting. I went to class and started orchestrating Ravel’s Sonatine.

Today was quite productive. I got some work done for a test which is coming up and I continued to orchestrate Sonatine.

If you have any questions or any comments on how to improve the blog, please, feel free to comment below.

(another one of my compositions if you're interested)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQBn4VWz4c

Tag List
    To be notified of when I post. Just let me know if you what to be added (or removed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocCheesecake)
    Saturday, 18 November – Tuesday, 21 November

As I was still ill, I focused on having a restful weekend. Recently, I’ve really missed doing maths. In secondary school, I loved doing Senior Maths Challenge papers so I’ve decided to start going through ‘A Primer for Mathematics Competitions’ so that I can get better at those types of questions. Over the weekend, I also finished the solo violin piece I was working on.

Last Sunday, I set myself the goal of going to bed before midnight… that ended up happening maybe 4/7 times. This week I plan on making it 6/7 times (I went to bed at 2:30 am yesterday).

Yesterday was just a normal day – nothing too interesting. I went to class and started orchestrating Ravel’s Sonatine.

Today was quite productive. I got some work done for a test which is coming up and I continued to orchestrate Sonatine.

If you have any questions or any comments on how to improve the blog, please, feel free to comment below.

(another one of my compositions if you're interested)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQBn4VWz4c

Tag List
    what piece were you working at on the violin? and what grade was it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    what piece were you working at on the violin? and what grade was it?
    I was writing the violin piece. It’s called ‘One of Them is Human’ and is based on the portrait of the same name from the 2017 Taylor-Wessing Portrait Prize. If you’re in London on the 8th December, it’s gonna be performed at a free concert in the National Portrait Gallery (assuming that the RCM staff or I can find someone to play it by then).

ReputationRep:
    I was writing the violin piece. It’s called ‘One of Them is Human’ and is based on the portrait of the same name from the 2017 Taylor-Wessing Portrait Prize. If you’re in London on the 8th December, it’s gonna be performed at a free concert in the National Portrait Gallery (assuming that the RCM staff or I can find someone to play it by then).
    oh wow that sounds really really cool!
    hopefully you’ll be able to find someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    oh wow that sounds really really cool!
    hopefully you’ll be able to find someone
    I just got an email saying that they found someone to play it!

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email saying that they found someone to play it!
    that’s brilliant! yayyy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.