Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just want an opinion/advice Watch

So I’ve had a chain of events happen to me over the span of a month. The latest being a cancer scare, I’m yet to find out if I’ve got the all clear. It’s not alarming considering my lifestyle and age, I’m a young fit person.

I’ve told my parents and close friends, just so I can verbalise my thoughts. I haven’t gotten any support, the conversation cuts off as soon as I try to speak about it. Everyone I’ve told has suddenly become busy, I can’t help but think about the worst.

I’m not feeling sorry for myself or looking for any type of attention, just generally want some honest opinions and rational before I make any rash decisions. If it’s fatal I don’t think I’ll want treatment. I could never play the victim or beg for support, the thought of being a burden worries me. I’m just trying to process all that’s gone on, so any thoughts ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until the results. No point worrying yourself about the what ifs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I’ve had a chain of events happen to me over the span of a month. The latest being a cancer scare, I’m yet to find out if I’ve got the all clear. It’s not alarming considering my lifestyle and age, I’m a young fit person.

I’ve told my parents and close friends, just so I can verbalise my thoughts. I haven’t gotten any support, the conversation cuts off as soon as I try to speak about it. Everyone I’ve told has suddenly become busy, I can’t help but think about the worst.

I’m not feeling sorry for myself or looking for any type of attention, just generally want some honest opinions and rational before I make any rash decisions. If it’s fatal I don’t think I’ll want treatment. I could never play the victim or beg for support, the thought of being a burden worries me. I’m just trying to process all that’s gone on, so any thoughts ?
    Try not to worry yourself until you have answers. It may not be cancer and even if it is some forms are quite treatable.
    I think you should find somebody to talk to though. Seems family/ friends are out of the picture for this one so you might like to try counselling or Macmillan.
    You can access counselling in various ways including online through sites like childline or samaritans and through school. It will give you a safe space to vent some of your thoughts and feelings without worrying about how the other person will r
    eact.

Hope that helps

(Original post by Kindred)
    Try not to worry yourself until you have answers. It may not be cancer and even if it is some forms are quite treatable.
    I think you should find somebody to talk to though. Seems family/ friends are out of the picture for this one so you might like to try counselling or Macmillan.
    You can access counselling in various ways including online through sites like childline or samaritans and through school. It will give you a safe space to vent some of your thoughts and feelings without worrying about how the other person will r
    eact.

Hope that helps
    I didn’t think of counselling, thanks.

It could possibly be breast cancer. I wasn’t too worried until I asked a nurse if people died of breast cancer, she replied with “everyone has a time to go, if it’s your time then yes you could possibly die. Some people received treatment and you’ve spotted it early, so with treatment you’ll possibly be able to survive for a few more years after.”

I don’t really like the idea of living in fear, I shouldn’t really be thinking this far ahead but I guess the seed of doubt had already been planted. Since my family an friends aren’t showing any interest, my options are kinda limited I guess.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just wait until the results. No point worrying yourself about the what ifs.
    You’re right, thanks but it’s kinda hard to divert my thoughts I guess.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I didn’t think of counselling, thanks.

It could possibly be breast cancer. I wasn’t too worried until I asked a nurse if people died of breast cancer, she replied with “everyone has a time to go, if it’s your time then yes you could possibly die. Some people received treatment and you’ve spotted it early, so with treatment you’ll possibly be able to survive for a few more years after.”

I don’t really like the idea of living in fear, I shouldn’t really be thinking this far ahead but I guess the seed of doubt had already been planted. Since my family an friends aren’t showing any interest, my options are kinda limited I guess.
    It's natural to worry about potentials like this, but it's not helpful so just try your best to distract yourself and not worry too much.

Honestly your family and friends are pretty rude to be ignoring you. Sure it's awkward and uncomfortable, but it's worse for you and they should be supportive. In the absence of that though some counselling could really help.

It's all well and good me saying not to worry, but it's a natural thing to do and if you can just switch it off then talking through some of it is the way to go. Bottling things up never ends well.

Best wishes. I hope everything goes well.

ReputationRep:

The best thing to do right now is to forget about it until the results come back. Once they come back, see what your doctor has to say and take things from there. Chances are they’ll be clear!
    Cancer care has come a very very long way in the past 10 years, don’t threat, it’ll be ok.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.