Top societies to join at Hogwarts! Watch

chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So you want to go to Hogwarts University? Of course you do! It's completely natural to wonder about the social side of things though. Don't feel confined to your classes or your house for making friends. Hogwarts has loads of active societies filled with like-minded people to join!

Here are the most popular:

S.P.E.W - Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare
Hogwarts' top social action society is looking for new members! Help campaign to get elves the rights they deserve

Cast a Spell on Me
Hogwarts' very own lonely hearts club. You may decide you want to find that special someone, and this is a great place to start

Muggle-born Society
The title of the society says it all. No pure or half-bloods allowed!

Quidditch League
With regular friendly and competitive games, our Quidditch League is incredibly popular. There are teams for beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels with twice-weekly training sessions, so there's a place for every ability and plenty of opportunities to improve your skill

Hogwarts Chamber (of secrets) Choir
Join the hugely successful chamber (of secrets) choir of Hogwarts. Auditions are held at the beginning of each term

Gobstones Club
Similar to the muggle game of marbles, gobstones is a game played with marble-like balls. The main difference is the foul-smelling liquid sprayed into the loser's face by the winning gobstone when a point is scored. Perfect for those wanting to take part in team sports, but not quite up for the more active Quidditch!

Firewhisky Tasting
With regular trips to Hog's Head Pub, the firewhisky tasting society will increase your social status and probably your tolerance for alcohol too

Societies to avoid:

Deatheaters Society
Stay away. Don't ask, and don't bother.

Is there a gap in the societies on offer at Hogwarts that you think you can fill? Applications for new societies are open all year round! What society would you start?
username3650622
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could we please have a society for pure-bloods as I find it quite unfair that the Mud-bloods get one.
Thank-you
HAS Official
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IvyAnne)
Could we please have a society for pure-bloods as I find it quite unfair that the Mud-bloods get one.
Thank-you
Please be aware that discriminatory language is not encouraged or approved of at Hogwarts :no:
FlintofBavaria
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is there not a Society for Fantastic Beasts!? (And where to find them!) :cute:
HAS Official
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FlintofBavaria)
How is there not a Society for Fantastic Beasts!? (And where to find them!) :cute:
All of our courses have their own course based societies - so BSc Care of Magical Creatures has a course based society that you can join.
username3650622
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HAS Official)
Please be aware that discriminatory language is not encouraged or approved of at Hogwarts :no:
Oh um apologies....

Is there still a possibility for a pure-blood society?
HAS Official
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh um apologies....

Is there still a possibility for a pure-blood society?
There's a possibility :yes:

The Muggle-born society exists to help support muggle-born students in adapting to magical society (and to provide a regular supply of something I'm told is called "Marmite"). I'm sure a similar society for pure-bloods with a focus on supporting pure-blood students on how to better integrate in muggle society and on fostering better understanding and muggle-magic relations would be welcomed.
gingerbread10000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think there should be a hidden walkway discovery club, Fred and George are the honorary mascots
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gingerbread10000)
I think there should be a hidden walkway discovery club, Fred and George are the honorary mascots
I solemnly swear....:wizard:
dazee__
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you join the Deatheaters Society?
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what is all this 'applying to hogwarts' stuff? is it a joke or something?..
HAS Official
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
what is all this 'applying to hogwarts' stuff? is it a joke or something?..
See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5061622

It's not a joke - we take it very seriously :yes:
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Think I'll be signing up to Firewhisky Tasting and Quidditch League, combined two of my loves, drinking and flying (not at the same time though!)
LibertySea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does my past Quidditch experience have an effect on what level I play? I take Quidditch very seriously.
AbdulBinShitskin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LibertySea)
Does my past Quidditch experience have an effect on what level I play? I take Quidditch very seriously.
No you don't. You can't even fly. Harry Potter isn't real. It's just a series of mediocre children's fantasy books. It's time to move on. You're French. Even just in your own language and from your own people, you have a lifetime of great literary works that you could be reading instead. Literature that will truly enrich you and furnish your mind with beauty and a sense of belonging to your people.

Stop with the Harry Potter ********, please. The fact that you all do this ironically makes it even worse. Please PLEASE. It's EMBARRASSING.
LibertySea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AbdulBinShitskin)
No you don't. You can't even fly. Harry Potter isn't real. It's just a series of mediocre children's fantasy books. It's time to move on. You're French. Even just in your own language and from your own people, you have a lifetime of great literary works that you could be reading instead. Literature that will truly enrich you and furnish your mind with beauty and a sense of belonging to your people.

Stop with the Harry Potter ********, please. The fact that you all do this ironically makes it even worse. Please PLEASE. It's EMBARRASSING.
Well, excuse you.

Yes, I am French, I was raised in a French household, but I never lived in France (cute that you dug around my profile before replying to my post—note the sarcasm). I consider myself to be a third culture child, so I probably have more international experience than you do. I started my education in English when I was 2 and a half, spent 7 years in a British school in Korea, the rest of that in International schools in Europe (not in France) and I intend to finish my education with a Masters and/or a PhD in a British university in Neuroscience. If you want to ask more questions about why I see myself as a third culture child and not simply as French, feel free to ask.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter franchise, and there's a reason why the HP books were the top-selling books in modern history for a while. They have managed to target audiences from a young to mature age and manages to transport you into a world you wish were real (but who says it isn't— anything is possible in the world we live in, it could be a government secret, but who knows?) and it gives you characters that you can relate to a certain aspect and all these things one can aspire to be. Can I ask why you don't consider Harry Potter to be enriching or capable to furnish your mind? Because I consider it to do both those things since JK Rowling is a genius and created such vivid imagery and a timeless piece of literature. And concerning other literature, mind you, my mother is a Literature and Linguistics major from a reputable French university, so I have read fine pieces of literature in my relatively short lifetime (many other novels, novellas, poems, short stories, vignettes,...)

I actually do play Quidditch, just google Quidditch UK or Muggle Quidditch (it's also a very big thing in the US). We have tournaments, leagues and a British national cup coming up. I'm also training with the UK national team tomorrow, which is a huge honour for any Quidditch player. I can tell you that flying causes unnecessary injuries and dangers, and the Student Union at the university I am studying at wasn't sure if flying would be covered by insurance so we just stick to running and pretend what we're flying (we all fly at one point). I'm a proud Chaser/Seeker, so I can defend my sport, and take my sport very very seriously. I would refer you to my YouTube channel with my Quidditch vlogs, but you'll probably dislike those videos, which I would expect from a close-minded individual like yourself, so I won't because I don't want negativity on my still budding channel (another thing I am proud of (along with Quidditch and my degree)).

The only thing I might see as "true" in your statement (but not entirely), is that I was a bit ironic in a joking way in my post, but that's an element of my humour—whitty, ironic, sarcastic joking phrases and questions.

My last point is a question, in a way. What are you doing on a harry potter related thread if you dislike the franchise and the world that surrounds it? It seems completely illogical to me unless you want to intentionally hurt feelings (tough luck, I was bullied and I now know how to deal with it, so you picked the wrong person).

My advice to you, if you are still reading, is to relax, and let everyone live their life. It's okay to disagree, but you just came off as rude and very disrespectful, and it seems that you also had intentions to hurt feelings, which is totally not okay.

So with that, I hope you learn how to turn those negative thoughts into positive ones and manage to deal with the hate you are channelling from inside you and spewing onto others (with malicious intentions, may I add). And finally, I wish you a very pleasant day, I genuinely do, I wouldn't wish a bad day on my enemies, so why would I wish that on an unpleasant person online.

Have a great day
username3585844
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
10 points to Gryffindor!
HAS Official
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AbdulBinShitskin)
x
I would dock some points from your house but I'm afraid the Sorting Hat wouldn't even agree to sort you :nope:

Looks like the CT have banned you instead :yes:
HAS Official
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LibertySea)

Madam Pomfrey and the Heads of Houses oversee the various Quidditch clubs - there's obviously a range of skill levels but the priority is always to make sure that everyone is able to compete at an appropriate level.

If you're training with the UK Quidditch team then we do have some Sports Scholarships and study schemes that allow agreed days away for training and important matches :yes:
shelia 132536y4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank-you
go away malfoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (66)
8.04%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.8%