Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I study mathematics at uni, and it is a high ranked uni (A Russell group and high ranked for maths), and I'm finding the course quite challenging. Everyone of my course is extremely able in ability, and the fact that they have taken further maths while I didn't, has further disadvantaged me, anyway, I believe that if I work hard, like with anything, I could achieve a good grade, most likely a 2:1 as I don't believe a first is likely personally, however I was talking to a friend who is in their 3rd year of maths at another uni (im in first year atm), and we were discussing the course, and she mentioned that some of the topics that I am covering now, she didn't cover until 2nd year, so basically, I'm asking, in your opinion, what do you consider more important, should I transfer to a lower ranked uni where hopefully I will be able to get a better grade in addition to being higher ranked against my peers (I heard when employees ask for a reference, they specially ask how you ranked against your peers e.g where you top 5% of class etc.) or should I stay at my higher Russell group uni, where I would be likely to get a lower grade at the end.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99joey)
    Long story short, I study mathematics at uni, and it is a high ranked uni (A Russell group and high ranked for maths), and I'm finding the course quite challenging. Everyone of my course is extremely able in ability, and the fact that they have taken further maths while I didn't, has further disadvantaged me, anyway, I believe that if I work hard, like with anything, I could achieve a good grade, most likely a 2:1 as I don't believe a first is likely personally, however I was talking to a friend who is in their 3rd year of maths at another uni (im in first year atm), and we were discussing the course, and she mentioned that some of the topics that I am covering now, she didn't cover until 2nd year, so basically, I'm asking, in your opinion, what do you consider more important, should I transfer to a lower ranked uni where hopefully I will be able to get a better grade in addition to being higher ranked against my peers (I heard when employees ask for a reference, they specially ask how you ranked against your peers e.g where you top 5% of class etc.) or should I stay at my higher Russell group uni, where I would be likely to get a lower grade at the end.

Thank you
    The fact that most people in your course did FM shouldn't put you down, as it does not give you much advantage at university level. The uni you go to will not make any difference so long as you got 2:1.

The requirement for transferring are far more higher (many will require you to have very excellent grades by the end of first year), and most uni do not allow students to transfer onto their 2nd year (so you will have to contact each uni you're interested in separately.

Also transferring to an 'easier' university will not mean that you'll do well on your course. Just because certain topics and subjects are introduced in later year, does not necessarily mean that the rest of the stuff will be easy, so you'll have to read other uni's syllabus to know. For example my 1st year introductory algebra modules introduces other linear algebra topics (e.g. eigenvalues, eigenvectors) later on 2nd year, and they've filled it with certain topics from abstract algebra, which is learnt during 2nd at other higher ranked unis . Maths in general isn't easy and is a very demanding subject.

I'd personally recommend that you stay at your current university, and ask for help from your tutor with any problems in you're facing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.