Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Honestly,i do not really like the course anymore. It's very hard to learn different type of programming language, database, algorithms,etc - all together at once. Most modules are 50/50 coursework and exam. Coursework always gives me stressed ,especially my recent coursework which involves making a website with database(product service), this was quite frustrating since i know very little and i have to do 100% research to get this done. I have attended every lectures with 100% attendance and yet i feel like i learn nothing from them , if i could put in simple words more like illusion of learning. The only things that i enjoyed was the math part which is discrete mathematics despite being the only module that i barely pass lol.

I starting to hate programming more and more due the fact that i have to memorise syntax and etc in java,python,sml,etc.Soon my brain will be exploding. Last year i got 2:1 and now i'm nearly to the end of first semester in year 2. But i feel like i'm at my limit because the course is very boring and demotivating me further. All the programming course work , i can never do them from scratch without using the internet , Well except the hello world which is pretty basic. But some coursework like asking you to build a word search program , i can never do that , probably not in 5 years . I have to research and research constantly throughout this course and used website like stackoverflow to get the code . I can understand what the code does but i cannot write it without getting from someone else , which lead to copy and pasting 99% in this course. What's the fun of that? what is the purpose of continuing with this course if i just keep doing this and then graduate with a degree that i barely learn nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni?

ReputationRep:
    It’s too late now (I think), you will only have two years of Student Finance left. Do you have any compelling personal reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    Which uni?
    Edinburgh University. But i don't think it's the uni problem , more like the course structure in any university.

But i'm from England so i have pay 6.7k per year since this this course is 4 years . And since i have to pay my debt is another reason why i can't drop out otherwise how would i pay back the money lol. And scottish people do not need to pay and i have seen quite a lot of them dropping out in first year without any worry on the debt .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    It’s too late now (I think), you will only have two years of Student Finance left. Do you have any compelling personal reasons?
    I don't think student finance is a issue.And nope it's just that i picked the wrong course and right now i'm regretting it. And yet it's very difficult to turn back at this point. I only took the course because of the employment rate and money rather than actually doing something that i like . At first i thought i might start getting into it but unfortunately that did not happen. I could prob switch to animation BA from computer science bsc but i might have to start from 1st year again , if lucky i could get into direct entry to second year since it's Scottish university .

ReputationRep:
    From what you've described, it seems like you had the wrong approach to uni, uni is supposed to be hard, turning up to lectures 100% of the time will only get you so far. Learning for yourself is where you begin to make progress. I noticed how you said, you didn't like how you had to "memorise syntax", and just saying the word memorise shows that you went about this the wrong way. Computing isn't a subject you just memorise, it's one you learn by practise and repetition.

With that being said, if you're not enjoying your course then yeah dropping out would be a good idea. It may also be worth while to mention that there are other roles in the computing industry that don't require you to take the route of programming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.