Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of dropping out in second year computer science watch

ReputationRep:
    Honestly,i do not really like the course anymore. It's very hard to learn different type of programming language, database, algorithms,etc - all together at once. Most modules are 50/50 coursework and exam. Coursework always gives me stressed ,especially my recent coursework which involves making a website with database(product service), this was quite frustrating since i know very little and i have to do 100% research to get this done. I have attended every lectures with 100% attendance and yet i feel like i learn nothing from them , if i could put in simple words more like illusion of learning. The only things that i enjoyed was the math part which is discrete mathematics despite being the only module that i barely pass lol.

I starting to hate programming more and more due the fact that i have to memorise syntax and etc in java,python,sml,etc.Soon my brain will be exploding. Last year i got 2:1 and now i'm nearly to the end of first semester in year 2. But i feel like i'm at my limit because the course is very boring and demotivating me further. All the programming course work , i can never do them from scratch without using the internet , Well except the hello world which is pretty basic. But some coursework like asking you to build a word search program , i can never do that , probably not in 5 years . I have to research and research constantly throughout this course and used website like stackoverflow to get the code . I can understand what the code does but i cannot write it without getting from someone else , which lead to copy and pasting 99% in this course. What's the fun of that? what is the purpose of continuing with this course if i just keep doing this and then graduate with a degree that i barely learn nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni?

ReputationRep:
    It’s too late now (I think), you will only have two years of Student Finance left. Do you have any compelling personal reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omzie)
    Which uni?
    Edinburgh University. But i don't think it's the uni problem , more like the course structure in any university.

But i'm from England so i have pay 6.7k per year since this this course is 4 years . And since i have to pay my debt is another reason why i can't drop out otherwise how would i pay back the money lol. And scottish people do not need to pay and i have seen quite a lot of them dropping out in first year without any worry on the debt .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    It’s too late now (I think), you will only have two years of Student Finance left. Do you have any compelling personal reasons?
    I don't think student finance is a issue.And nope it's just that i picked the wrong course and right now i'm regretting it. And yet it's very difficult to turn back at this point. I only took the course because of the employment rate and money rather than actually doing something that i like . At first i thought i might start getting into it but unfortunately that did not happen. I could prob switch to animation BA from computer science bsc but i might have to start from 1st year again , if lucky i could get into direct entry to second year since it's Scottish university .

ReputationRep:
    From what you've described, it seems like you had the wrong approach to uni, uni is supposed to be hard, turning up to lectures 100% of the time will only get you so far. Learning for yourself is where you begin to make progress. I noticed how you said, you didn't like how you had to "memorise syntax", and just saying the word memorise shows that you went about this the wrong way. Computing isn't a subject you just memorise, it's one you learn by practise and repetition.

With that being said, if you're not enjoying your course then yeah dropping out would be a good idea. It may also be worth while to mention that there are other roles in the computing industry that don't require you to take the route of programming.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.