Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinion on Mathematics Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do you enjoy/like Maths?

And if you don’t, why do you dislike it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I never enjoyed it as a subject and I put it down almost completely to poor teaching. I couldn't say a positive thing about the subject itself even though aspects of it are obviously useful to me.

ReputationRep:
    It was a fun subject at school, and Im forever amazed at its hundreds of thousands of applications

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No nonsense or subjective marking, just beautiful numbers.

ReputationRep:
    it helps me to integrate with other people

ReputationRep:
    I used to think I hated the subject because it was super boring but it turns out it was just because my teacher was terrible and didn't care at all. As soon as i got a teacher who actually cared about the subject I began to like it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mightlobster)

I don't necessarily dislike maths, but I am bad at it. For me it has always been a means to an end; I just never got any sense of curiosity or excitement from studying it. I think it's a subject you MUST have a natural aptitude for to do well at, at GCSE maybe you can get through on hard work alone (I did) but beyond that I don't think it's enough. I kind of resent the fact that no matter how hard I worked at it it just never really made sense to me - I know for a fact I couldn't use it to solve a problem I hadn't seen before, and I think that takes the enjoyment from it.

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful and amazing subject but the way it is taught in school can be extremely uninspiring and the curriculum doesn't necessarily prepare people to actually be mathematicians. A-level maths and further maths is more like teaching a toolkit for degrees that use lots of maths although that's fine for me because I'm doing physics XD.

ReputationRep:
    really depends on if you have a good teacher or not. when i had a terrible teacher, i didn't learn anything and didn't see the point in maths at all, just thought it was a waste of lessons

ReputationRep:
    _gcx ew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mightlobster)

Definitive answers, no wishy-washy subjective crap.

I would much rather spend a day doing some maths than writing an English essay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I love maths, however sadly I cannot do maths. I can use maths, and solving mathematical problems with simple methods is entertaining enough, usually, but regrettably the cool abstract beauty of rigorous proof remains a mystery to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting and rewarding. There's no single thing that made me enjoy maths, I always have.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is truly an amazing subject which challenges and intrigues me all the time. The great thing about maths for me personally is understanding a concept particuarly difficult ones. When i understand something in maths (easy or not) i really feel happy and joyful. However when i find it difficult, im determined to understand it and grasp it. Im currently in yr 10 and im aiming for a grade 9 in maths

ReputationRep:
    I'll expand upon this later because I'm awful at articulating rn.

As an academic field, you don't get much better, but as a high school subject, it just isn't done justice. It's no wonder why people grow to despise maths, it's presented in a very monotonous way that places emphasis more on learning methods by rote, as opposed to actually understanding the theory and applications of what's being learnt. If there wasn't much more to maths than, say, GCSE, I would probably thoroughly despise it too. Maths isn't about following a process without understanding, it's a much deeper field that shapes several others, (obvious ones like physics, computer science, but also less obvious fields like linguistics) and intertwines with most.

ReputationRep:
    it helps me to function in society

**** maths

id rather do meth

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      useless subject

like we got calculators n stuff so why have i got to learn stupid stuff like sine and cos things ???

mathematicians just enjoy making other ppl feel dumb
      yee ma boi down with dat maffmagecians innit i mean who da **** is pithagruras anyway the only pie I no is a c**am pie

ReputationRep:
      I absolutely hated it as a subject but I put that down to not really applying myself when I was in GCSEs and believing it wouldn't help me at all in the future. I wish I was really good at it but when I think of doing surds and circular theorems it sends shivers down my spine.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      I love it :heart::heart:

Until around year 10/11 I hated maths and was pretty bad at it too, since I just never saw the point of any of it, but competition-style maths and reading into mathematical linguistics and philosophy made me enjoy it a lot more. That also improved my skills, since I actually began to take the time to understand what I was doing and got into the habit of proving and deriving formulae etc. rather than just mindlessly applying what I was told to. Three years ago I wanted to burn my maths notes after GCSE, and now here I am doing further maths

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.