Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinion on Mathematics Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J843126028)
    I had done a (p+l)(a+n) to make more puns, but my pa+pn+la+ln was foiled because I couldn't think of any more.
    please expand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    please expand
    Well, I tried to graph (p+l)(a+n) and I tried expanded it, but then I foiled my own plan. Then I messed up by not even labelling my axes when I tried to graph my (foiled) plan and I ended up making an axe out of foil. I couldn't integrate this and I accidentally differentiated my plan, making it into long, infinitesimally thin rectangles.

(and yes, I got the "please expand" pun and I decided to take it literally )

ReputationRep:
    I can't really put thought to words that well, so I'll make it a deep metaphor.

Me and Maths, this relationship we have, is an abusive one for sure. Every Differentiation application question, every Vector every Induction question, beats me to the ground, but just when I think it's over for me, just when I'm about to drown in past papers, binder notes, tears and my own blood, I get back up, and I pummel the past papers into non existence. Maths truly is an untameable beast, after you do it for long enough, soon everything you look at, everything you know, has a mathematical foundation, computers, ikea flat pack furniture, water bottles. Whenever I try to run, Maths always chases me down; I can never escape.

But despite all Maths' shortcomings, despite how sometimes I want to scream at it, despite how much it beats me to a pulp sometimes, I wouldn't give it up for anything else.

OR MAYBE I'M JUST ****IN RETARDED

From a Further Maths A Level student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J843126028)
    Well, I tried to graph (p+l)(a+n) and I tried expanded it, but then I foiled my own plan. Then I messed up by not even labelling my axes when I tried to graph my (foiled) plan and I ended up making an axe out of foil. I couldn't integrate this and I accidentally differentiated my plan, making it into long, infinitesimally thin rectangles.

(and yes, I got the "please expand" pun and I decided to take it literally )
    This is your sine: You should carry on making these poor puns.

ReputationRep:
    Really fun and interesting subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    this thread is going off on a tangent, please desist

ReputationRep:
    Before i didn't mind maths but i didn't particularly find the subject that interesting so i usually used to get 4's in year 10...(thats roughly a C/D in the old syllabus
    ).But i want to do computer science and to go to a top russel group uni which you normally need to take maths and they highly suggest further maths.
    So i decided to research more into maths by watching videos on its applications; thats where i saw the importance of maths and how interesting it could be. Then i had a few other older students push me into doing more maths practice and papers. So through hardwork i got an 8(roughly an A*) for my GCSEs and love the subject. So now i've started year 12 and i decided to pick Maths and Further maths as one of my 4 subject choices and i am hoping to get A's in both subjects this year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I find doing maths questions entertaining enough, and when I get them right, I find it satisfying. When I'm getting them wrong and not understanding what to do, it's frustrating and not particularly enjoyable. I had some tumbles along the way, but overall I did well enough at maths to get onto and complete an engineering degree.

I haven't been exposed to anything that a degree level mathematician would classify as maths, so I am not sure about things such as mathematical proofs. I don't think I ever had any inclination to study maths as a degree - I think my main enjoyment was going through the methods to arrive at the (hopefully correct) solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    not all the time... just periodically

http://www.badumtss.net/icon-facebook.gif

ReputationRep:
    I should probably put a legit answer to the question on this thread, seeing as I've sort of vandalised it and perhaps subtracted from it with my puns.

I really like maths for a few reasons:
    1) The problem-solving aspect of it is a lot of fun. It's so satisfying when you have an idea for solving a problem.
    2) Lots of it doesn't apply to the real world. This means that problems don't have to be connected to the real world to be worth thinking about. Also, you don't have to worry about safety or experimental error.
    3) Lots of it does apply to the real world -- the applications of maths to the real world are really interesting.
    4) It all makes logical sense and you need to memorise nothing. Also, you can do proofs, whilst in things like science, there are many other factors that need to be considered, so it's very hard to get a proof of something like you can in maths.
    The curriculum is rubbish, though, so I can see why so many people hate maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.