Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my mum is stressing me out about finding a job? Watch

my mum really wants me to find a part time job to help out financially cos we're poor and my older siblings don't help, but I go to sixth form and have just started year 12. I'm aiming for high grades that will get me somewhere and having a job is gonna conflict with school and the workload. I'd like a job but realistically I need all my attention on my work right from the beginning but my mum doesn't understand, she expects me to get books from the library for school (even though I can't as it's a new course) and said that if I need any school supplies I have to get a job and even refuses to pay for food and clothes if I don't get a job soon. Idk what to do anymore
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    u r in a really hard situation and i csnt even imagine to have to go through that
    but for a job i would suggest working in like a coffee shop or a bakery, they open really early - like 5:30/6 am and even if you work an 8 hour shift, youll finish by 1:30pm or earlier, which is the time most students wake up or start working anyway and ull have the rest of the day to study

i just started yr 12 too and thats what i do- i work the morning shift at greggs

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    For paper pen’s note books pencils stuff like that you could always use the College shop most places have one and everything is quite cheep. Books are expensive but lots of lecturers put notes online you could always apply for a hardship fund this will hopefully cover your books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my mum really wants me to find a part time job to help out financially cos we're poor and my older siblings don't help, but I go to sixth form and have just started year 12. I'm aiming for high grades that will get me somewhere and having a job is gonna conflict with school and the workload. I'd like a job but realistically I need all my attention on my work right from the beginning but my mum doesn't understand, she expects me to get books from the library for school (even though I can't as it's a new course) and said that if I need any school supplies I have to get a job and even refuses to pay for food and clothes if I don't get a job soon. Idk what to do anymore
    That doesn’t sound great. Have you thought about tutoring at all. It depends on your subjects a bit but it’s often not so many hours and reasonable pay but also forces you to go over topics that you should be confident with - which can make you notice some weaknesses which is useful for your own revision of simpler concepts.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason you can't work and get good grades if you manage your time well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.