Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum doesn't want me to think about going to Oxbridge... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    whichever University you go to you will have debt at the end. if you are good enough to go to a top University then go for it. graduates from those universities often earn more than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyrose2001)
    Yeah sorry I meant target grades - maybe I am too dumb for Oxford lmfao
    haha. Well, you're going good so far

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently in Year 12 and am trying to form some kind of idea of where I want to go to Uni and what to study. I still haven't made a firm decision on what I want to do for a career but there's only a few things I'm considering and they're all fairly related, and I know I want to do a STEM degree.

So a few weeks ago I was talking to my mum and she asked where I was thinking of going after Sixth Form and I briefly said something like 'oh, I am considering aiming for Oxbridge...'. And she actually got fairly heated. We're a largely working-class family and at the moment my mum is between jobs so money is a tense subject (my dad's reasonably well-off but I don't live with him -divorced). The general gist of what she was saying was that I am out of my mind for even considering that we have the money for me to go to Oxbridge or even one of the London universities, and that she doesn't want me having so much student debt hanging over me when I graduate.

It's not like I've based all my aspirations around getting into Oxford or Imperial (I actually visited the University of Manchester a couple weeks ago and loved it) but just how unrealistic was I to suggest I wanted to go to a top-flight Uni as a working-class gal?
    It can be tough for working class families to reconcile the idea of Oxford/Cambridge (big expensive posh place for posh genuises) with the idea of their working class child, no matter how bright you are. Some of my family were the same - they weren't angry about it at all, but I think they just saw Oxford as somewhere that wasn't for 'people like us'. Anyway I went, and they realised that while some of the stereotypes hold water, it's not really the place they'd thought it would be.

You'll end up with a mound of student debt wherever you go to university. Oxford is actually probably one of the better places to go in that respect - I don't know what the bursaries are like these days, but when I went, they gave me £10k in bursary money throughout the three years of my degree.

I say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to add to my other point, whilst I do stand by my view that you need to deal with the hand you've been dealt if you want something, I study at a London university and somebody told me something the other day that I'd never though of but I do partially agree with. London is not the place to study if you don't have money. Some may disagree but the only way I'm surviving (I don't have time for a job) is through my parents paying my rent in months where I don't have enough. My loan technically covers my rent (not including bills), but it leaves me nothing for living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    I forgot to add to my other point, whilst I do stand by my view that you need to deal with the hand you've been dealt if you want something, I study at a London university and somebody told me something the other day that I'd never though of but I do partially agree with. London is not the place to study if you don't have money. Some may disagree but the only way I'm surviving (I don't have time for a job) is through my parents paying my rent in months where I don't have enough. My loan technically covers my rent (not including bills), but it leaves me nothing for living costs.
    Thanks - that was probably one of the points my mum made that I did agree with, if reluctantly!

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently in Year 12 and am trying to form some kind of idea of where I want to go to Uni and what to study. I still haven't made a firm decision on what I want to do for a career but there's only a few things I'm considering and they're all fairly related, and I know I want to do a STEM degree.

So a few weeks ago I was talking to my mum and she asked where I was thinking of going after Sixth Form and I briefly said something like 'oh, I am considering aiming for Oxbridge...'. And she actually got fairly heated. We're a largely working-class family and at the moment my mum is between jobs so money is a tense subject (my dad's reasonably well-off but I don't live with him -divorced). The general gist of what she was saying was that I am out of my mind for even considering that we have the money for me to go to Oxbridge or even one of the London universities, and that she doesn't want me having so much student debt hanging over me when I graduate.

It's not like I've based all my aspirations around getting into Oxford or Imperial (I actually visited the University of Manchester a couple weeks ago and loved it) but just how unrealistic was I to suggest I wanted to go to a top-flight Uni as a working-class gal?
    Universities have such good bursary schemes and loan systems when it comes to people attending from worse off backgrounds. I have friends both in Imperial and Cambridge doing medicine and my friend from Imperial gets given a £3/4K bursary each year which she doesn’t even have to pay back. The one in Cambridge is also from an average, working class background and he said a lot of people there get a bigger student loan than him because of their economic backgrounds! So honestly from a money point of view don’t worry about the financial costs of one of these top universities. Focus on working hard and if you’re lucky enough to be able to apply there you will be more than fine. There’s obviously going to be some people will what seems to be endless amounts of money, but realistically you’re going to get that in most universities and the majority of students struggle for money but it’s all about budgeting. Also studying a STEM subject at a top uni like Oxbridge or Imperial will almost guarantee you with a great job afterwards so Student dept shouldn’t put you off going here because you’ll probably make more in the long run from one of these universities than a university ranked lower down.
    The main advice I can give you is to aim high and don’t let the issue of finance deter you from getting an amazing degree and pursuing the best career possible!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly the poorer you are the easier it is to go to uni because you get fat bursaries so you wont have to get a part time job while doing your degree! Cambridge is actually one of the cheapest unis to got to because you only pay accommodation half the year. What a-levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Honestly the poorer you are the easier it is to go to uni because you get fat bursaries so you wont have to get a part time job while doing your degree! Cambridge is actually one of the cheapest unis to got to because you only pay accommodation half the year. What a-levels are you doing?
    Maths, physics, chemistry and Spanish. Ideally I'd like to try and do 4 A Levels but it's more likely I'll drop Spanish for second year
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Maths, physics, chemistry and Spanish. Ideally I'd like to try and do 4 A Levels but it's more likely I'll drop Spanish for second year
    Perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...nticeship-zone
    It seems that an apprenticeship might address your mom's financial concern ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Honestly drop spanish and pick up/self study AS-level further maths in year 13. Further maths is extremely helpful for maths, engineering, computer science and physics (and natsci at cambridge). You can get into some of those without further maths but the competition with people who do have it is fierce and the more maths you do the better you get. That said you do have a very good set of 3 science and maths a-levels which are the ideal set for a lot of courses like a lot of the physical natural sciences that aren't physics and even biological sciences!

ReputationRep:
    London is obviously more expensive, but Oxbridge is no more expensive than other unis, possibly even less because lots of the colleges provide in house subsidised accommodation for all 3 years.

The only thing to note is that you’re not allowed to have a job while studying at Cambridge in term time; however, as terms are so short there, you have very long holidays to work in.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly drop spanish and pick up/self study AS-level further maths in year 13. Further maths is extremely helpful for maths, engineering, computer science and physics (and natsci at cambridge). You can get into some of those without further maths but the competition with people who do have it is fierce and the more maths you do the better you get. That said you do have a very good set of 3 science and maths a-levels which are the ideal set for a lot of courses like a lot of the physical natural sciences that aren't physics and even biological sciences!
    Thanks for advice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for advice
    So are you doing AS levels? If so it'll be quite important to smash those. Even if you have internal tests at the end of year 12, you should still try do really well so your teachers give you a high predicted grade. And I mean oxbridge is a good goal but getting into any really good uni is fantastic. I'm half way through the admissions process currently and I will be quite upset if I don't get in but I already have 2 offers which I am very confident that I'll be able to meet so in the grand scheme of things it wont be a disaster if I don't get in .

ReputationRep:

Funding for University is a huge misconception.
    The lower your household income, the more of a loan you’re eligible for! Honestly, you can get 9,000 a year from the government which is enough to live on, including accommodation food etc. Without your parents having to pay a penny. It’s absolutely worth considering, money shouldn’t be an issue at all.

In fact, money’s more of an issue when you’ve got a household income of 40-60,000 and the government assumes your parents have money left over to give you for Uni...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So are you doing AS levels? If so it'll be quite important to smash those. Even if you have internal tests at the end of year 12, you should still try do really well so your teachers give you a high predicted grade. And I mean oxbridge is a good goal but getting into any really good uni is fantastic. I'm half way through the admissions process currently and I will be quite upset if I don't get in but I already have 2 offers which I am very confident that I'll be able to meet so in the grand scheme of things it wont be a disaster if I don't get in .
    Yep, and thanks! I know Oxford isn't the be all and end all but it's nice to have a high target to aim for Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and thanks! I know Oxford isn't the be all and end all but it's nice to have a high target to aim for Good luck!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cambridge is better
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

This should be fairly easy to fix, just explain to your mother that Oxford and Cambridge are no more expensive than any other university in the UK (if anything they're on the cheaper side since if you're living in college you only need to pay for six months a year, and food is subsidised). And as others have mentioned, if your household income is very low then you will probably find that university is more affordable than people with a slightly higher household income because you will qualify for higher maintenance loans and more importantly, grants.

You will have a large amount of student debt hanging over you when you graduate regardless of where you go to university, that's just an unfortunate fact of life of being a student in the UK at the moment.

London is expensive. It certainly put me off going to Imperial. Having said that, look at how large a grant you would qualify for at Imperial because that could help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)

London is expensive. It certainly put me off going to Imperial. Having said that, look at how large a grant you would qualify for at Imperial because that could help a lot.
    Its well worth looking into Imperial funding and accomodation costs at an early stage. If you are a low income household you could expect (between loans and bursaries) a tax free income of £15k per year, and some decent priced housing. That may make it more affordable than a lot of other unis.

I wouldn't recommend most other London unis financially unless your parents live there but Imperial can be an exception for those who can max out allowances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.