Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know if I should carry on with sixth form.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in quite a tough position right now. I'm supposed to be moving soon but me and my mum can't find anywhere in the area near my school so we may have to move further and that means me moving schools - just a bit of background info lmao.

My issue is that I don't know if I should join another sixth form or do an apprenticeship or something like that. Basically, I hate school, it's completely not for me. And I know what I want to do (filmmaking) and I'm quite certain that I won't be going onto uni so now I'm thinking: why am I going to sixth form?

I made the mistake of not broadening my options earlier this year but there was hardly any time because exams and mocks and everything that goes on Year 11. How we're supposed to make clear decisions, I don't know.

So my question is: do I go to another sixth form when I move or look at other alternatives to getting into the film industry?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any apprenticeships out there for the film industry, which is absurdly small in the UK anyway.

You'd have better luck with this dilemma had you lived in California or Texas.

How sure are you that the film industry is 100% what you want to do? Is it a dream / gut feeling or is it a thoroughly researched choice that you think is rational for you?

Also what year are you in? Most sixth forms don't mind people redoing year one on a different course. It's redoing year two where problems are, because they no longer receive government funding for you. (Read: you're basically the equivalent of a stray cat)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katonyo)
    I'm in quite a tough position right now. I'm supposed to be moving soon but me and my mum can't find anywhere in the area near my school so we may have to move further and that means me moving schools - just a bit of background info lmao.

My issue is that I don't know if I should join another sixth form or do an apprenticeship or something like that. Basically, I hate school, it's completely not for me. And I know what I want to do (filmmaking) and I'm quite certain that I won't be going onto uni so now I'm thinking: why am I going to sixth form?

I made the mistake of not broadening my options earlier this year but there was hardly any time because exams and mocks and everything that goes on Year 11. How we're supposed to make clear decisions, I don't know.

So my question is: do I go to another sixth form when I move or look at other alternatives to getting into the film industry?
    You should look at the most common route to getting into the film industry is and follow that (but bear in mind how competitive it is and have a back up plan just in case it doesn't work out). Don't just assume getting a degree in film is required, for most art based subjects it is the quality of your portfolio and your connections rather than if you have a degree or not that are the deciding factors on whether you get X job or not in that art based industry

If youre not sure then take a gap year before deciding whether to go to sixform and then uni or not so it gives you the time to make a more informed decision on what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bart12345)
    I don't think there's any apprenticeships out there for the film industry, which is absurdly small in the UK anyway.

You'd have better luck with this dilemma had you lived in California or Texas.

How sure are you that the film industry is 100% what you want to do? Is it a dream / gut feeling or is it a thoroughly researched choice that you think is rational for you?

Also what year are you in? Most sixth forms don't mind people redoing year one on a different course. It's redoing year two where problems are, because they no longer receive government funding for you. (Read: you're basically the equivalent of a stray cat)
    Yeah definitely, I've already looked and there aren't very many. And yes, I'm completely sure that it's what i want to go into and it's both a gut feeling and a rational thing haha. I've been researching film and its industry for the past two years or so and I don't think there's anything else that I want to go into unless it involves writing or creating.

I'm in Year 12 at the moment which is why this is so difficult for me because I've already started my courses in sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    You should look at the most common route to getting into the film industry is and follow that (but bear in mind how competitive it is and have a back up plan just in case it doesn't work out). Don't just assume getting a degree in film is required, for most art based subjects it is the quality of your portfolio and your connections rather than if you have a degree or not that are the deciding factors on whether you get X job or not in that art based industry

If youre not sure then take a gap year before deciding whether to go to sixform and then uni or not so it gives you the time to make a more informed decision on what you want to do
    I'll definitely make sure to do that. I feel like it's networking and portfolio work, like you said, that would get me into the industry and the competitiveness is another reason why I want to start working towards it now. I just don't know what to do in the meantime until I can legally leave school :/.

Exactly about the degree thing, I'm having trouble telling my mum that that's why I don't need to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Thanks for your replies guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katonyo)
    I'll definitely make sure to do that. I feel like it's networking and portfolio work, like you said, that would get me into the industry and the competitiveness is another reason why I want to start working towards it now. I just don't know what to do in the meantime until I can legally leave school :/.

Exactly about the degree thing, I'm having trouble telling my mum that that's why I don't need to go to uni.
    I have no idea how to go about it but while you're at school you can still produce high quality videos, write scripts (if that is something you want to do), increase your knowledge of the tools used in industry etc (I am sure there are other things but I dont know anything about the film industry specifically), I mean people produce high quality videos on youtube all the time with limited resources, that can be a way of starting to build up the skills required. If it is anything like other art industries you will already need to be good before getting a job in it, qualifications have little meaning

With the degree thing, it might not be useless, it might be (you will have to look that up) but the one advantage it could give you is more time to put into film making as you will be given money from sfe to do your degree and you can tailor it to make sure you build up the important skills (this is where most art based students fail, they think that the piece of paper is more important than the massive amount of skill + great portfolio you could develop over the 3 years and then realise when it is too late that they were wrong). But you could also do this without being in a degree programme and do it in your own time after work etc

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering at University and I hate it and want to leave to take a gap year and apply for something else but my parents won't let me drop out. My dream is to be a filmmaker but I know I can't tell my parents this because they just want me to have a job that makes me decent money even if I hate it and can't motivate myself to study it and they have never supported my hobbies or passion. We had a huge argument over me wanting to leave Uni the other day. I've researched the film industry too and a lot of famous directors actually advise NOT going to film school or university and that the best way to improve your skills is to just get out there and film stuff and write screenplays in your spare time. Phones have such powerful cameras nowadays that it's actually quite easy to start the problem is we are in the UK which makes it even tougher. The film industry is extremely competitive but it's the only thing I have ever felt I actually WANT to do as a career. It may just be a dream but I'll never know if I never try I just wish I could make my own decisions without my parents getting involved all the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.