Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I took a postgraduate loan for part time studies and my housing benefit claim has 95 pounds counted as income on my claim.im only receiving 5142 pounds for academic year 2017/2018 and the rest of 5142 pounds next academic year 2018/2019.
    Housing excempted 10 pounds and counted 95 pounds as an income for the 5142 pounds im getting for the first year..i have read a previous thread and it appears my award is wrong as I read housing benefits take travel/ study materials into consideration and that should reduce the amount to 19.5 pounds per week and 10 pounds exempted should be 9.5 pounds per week..i have 95 pounds per week on my claim for the 5142 I will be getting for the first year..
    Can you please advise if this is right or wrong?
    Apologise if I'm asking something you've already answered..im very worried at the moment.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Juddyzzz)
    I took a postgraduate loan for part time studies and my housing benefit claim has 95 pounds counted as income on my claim.im only receiving 5142 pounds for academic year 2017/2018 and the rest of 5142 pounds next academic year 2018/2019.
    Housing excempted 10 pounds and counted 95 pounds as an income for the 5142 pounds im getting for the first year..i have read a previous thread and it appears my award is wrong as I read housing benefits take travel/ study materials into consideration and that should reduce the amount to 19.5 pounds per week and 10 pounds exempted should be 9.5 pounds per week..i have 95 pounds per week on my claim for the 5142 I will be getting for the first year..
    Can you please advise if this is right or wrong?
    Apologise if I'm asking something you've already answered..im very worried at the moment.
    I think the disregard is supposed to be 70% of your loan. So it should be more like £30 a week they count.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m in the same situation did you manage to resolve this issue?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Nataliah,
    I got the university benefit advisor to write a letter which pointed out the error housing have made with my student loan income percentage calculation.
    The advisor clearly stated the social security rule on postgraduate students loan and the amount that should be counted as income is 30% of the loan over 2017/2018...So for 5140 it's 1500 pounds and again a portion used to cover travel/books/ equipment.
    The mistake most councils are doing is they consider the postgraduate loan as undergrat loan..
    So after appealing the decision with the new rule from August 2016 , they wrote to me stating they've upheld my appeal and have now amended my Student loan income of 90 pounds to 10.22 pounds per week counted as income, which literally doesn't change or affect my benefit.
    Hope this helps..speak to your university benefits advisors and see if they can give you a letter as the council/housing can be bit difficult to deal with..i had to appeal 3 times until they finally gave in.
    Let me know if you still require any further information or help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juddyzzz)
    Hi Nataliah,
    I got the university benefit advisor to write a letter which pointed out the error housing have made with my student loan income percentage calculation.
    The advisor clearly stated the social security rule on postgraduate students loan and the amount that should be counted as income is 30% of the loan over 2017/2018...So for 5140 it's 1500 pounds and again a portion used to cover travel/books/ equipment.
    The mistake most councils are doing is they consider the postgraduate loan as undergrat loan..
    So after appealing the decision with the new rule from August 2016 , they wrote to me stating they've upheld my appeal and have now amended my Student loan income of 90 pounds to 10.22 pounds per week counted as income, which literally doesn't change or affect my benefit.
    Hope this helps..speak to your university benefits advisors and see if they can give you a letter as the council/housing can be bit difficult to deal with..i had to appeal 3 times until they finally gave in.
    Let me know if you still require any further information or help
    thank you very much I’m extremely grateful for this information, I have already appealed but this information will be useful if I have to appeal again

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wish you all the best and hope it get sorted quickly for you.

Just incase they get to 'drag' ☺things, then you have to use below link and how the calculation is done.

In my case, I requested in my 3rd appeal a senior housing officer review my appeal as I felt who ever was dealing with it was refusing to accept the fact.

Find below;

The same disregards and rules that apply to the Student Finance England Undergraduate Loans also apply to the Student Finance England Postgraduate Loan. With one exception explained below. The calculation of the amount of Postgraduate Loan that counts as income for benefits is as follows: The annual Student loan available to a Part time postgraduate students is £5,140, the student is eligible for this amount this academic year 17/18 and again next academic year 18/19. The exception is that only 30% of £5,140 should be considered as income during this current academic year from 1 September 2017 until the last benefit week in June 2018, covering a 42 week period. 30% of £5,140 is £1,542.00. The student Books and equipment disregard of £390.00 and a Travel Disregard of £303 should be applied. Once these are deducted this leaves a total of £849.00. £849.00 should be divided by 42 weeks. This leaves a weekly total of £20.22. Once the final weekly disregard of £10.00 is applies, this leaves a weekly income figure of £10.22. The Postgraduate Student Loan income that should be counted as income each week is £10.22 per week . Please refer to the following document for confirmation of the use of Postgraduate Loans: • Statutory Instrument 2006 No 743: The Social Security (Treatment of Postgraduate Masters Degree Loans and Special Support Loans) (amendments) regulations 2016. Paragraph 4 (d) specifically confirms the use of 30% of the loan. Link attached below.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/743/made

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wish you all the best and hope it get sorted quickly for you.

Just incase they get to 'drag' ☺things, then you have to use below link and how the calculation is done.

In my case, I requested in my 3rd appeal a senior housing officer review my appeal as I felt who ever was dealing with it was refusing to accept the fact.

Find below;

The same disregards and rules that apply to the Student Finance England Undergraduate Loans also apply to the Student Finance England Postgraduate Loan. With one exception explained below. The calculation of the amount of Postgraduate Loan that counts as income for benefits is as follows: The annual Student loan available to a Part time postgraduate students is £5,140, the student is eligible for this amount this academic year 17/18 and again next academic year 18/19. The exception is that only 30% of £5,140 should be considered as income during this current academic year from 1 September 2017 until the last benefit week in June 2018, covering a 42 week period. 30% of £5,140 is £1,542.00. The student Books and equipment disregard of £390.00 and a Travel Disregard of £303 should be applied. Once these are deducted this leaves a total of £849.00. £849.00 should be divided by 42 weeks. This leaves a weekly total of £20.22. Once the final weekly disregard of £10.00 is applies, this leaves a weekly income figure of £10.22. The Postgraduate Student Loan income that should be counted as income each week is £10.22 per week . Please refer to the following document for confirmation of the use of Postgraduate Loans: • Statutory Instrument 2006 No 743: The Social Security (Treatment of Postgraduate Masters Degree Loans and Special Support Loans) (amendments) regulations 2016. Paragraph 4 (d) specifically confirms the use of 30% of the loan. Link attached below.

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/743/made

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much you are an absolute life saver, you’ve also thought me a lesson I now understand my situation. I’m so grateful, god bless you xx

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone aware if this is the same rules for postgraduate loan and housing benefit in Wales? Have had HB suspended despite giving evidence of payments. Plus I’m self employed, single mum and have a disabled child. Cannot phantom how they are calculating what is actual income. If anyone has any ideas on how this works in wales I would be so appreciative. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I’m assuming it’s the same for wales as it’s in the UK - im in a similar situation, single parent employed working 16 hours per week and my housing have finally understood after three appeals. Try quoting that ‘juddyzz’ has stated it helped me.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why they are still doing this in 2017/18 academic year? I have received a letter today and they have taken £103.42 for a post-graduate loan of £10,280.00, even though I was initially that will be disregarded

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.