Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    So I've been sent an email about if I want to stay on in my halls or not and I'm debating.

    I'm staying in halls for second year (although different halls) for various reasons - I was applying for single semester study abroad so was told it'd be easier to stay with uni halls - but mainly because I hadn't made any friends, let alone anyone who'd want to move in with me.

    Now I'm in a similar situation. I still have no friends (and it's not looking up) nor no one to move in with or who would particularly want to move in with me so I'm most likely going back to halls. Also as I'm (hopefully) studying abroad next semester, it would be easier to apply for halls as opposed to private accommodation.

    I'm worried there might be a thing about being a third year, and still living in halls. Also it's slightly more expensive. The university does offer uni-owned accommodation in the way of a house as well, which would be cheaper, so I'm considering that but I'm not too sure.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Nobody really cares what year you're in while you're in halls, however from your perspective you may well end up sharing a flat with noisy party-prone freshers. However most universities seem to gather the higher year students and PGs into separate flats, or sometimes they give an option to indicate a preference to not be housed with first years.

    Living in a house with other people you don't know isn't going to be functionally different however, as you'll still be sharing a kitchen space, most like a bathroom space unless you elect for an ensuite in halls, and you'll still be jointly responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the shared spaces and taking out garbage etc. You may find that the latter is just somewhat better organised in a house.
Could you cope without Wifi?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.