Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Grades Roughly Do You Need To Get At A-Level To Go To University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course, you need to pass at least three A-Levels. I initally thought that meant C and above, but looking at entry requirements it seems they prefer As and Bs.

This worries me a little because I'm predicted a C for all three of my A-Level subjects (I'm just two months into college and taking the AS qualifications). Would I still be able to get in with BCC or something like that?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
    Of course, you need to pass at least three A-Levels. I initally thought that meant C and above, but looking at entry requirements it seems they prefer As and Bs.

This worries me a little because I'm predicted a C for all three of my A-Level subjects (I'm just two months into college and taking the AS qualifications). Would I still be able to get in with BCC or something like that?
    Depends on the subjects but yes of course you could find somewhere with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you can , not all universities ask for the same things. also can consider foundation years

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the university. A lot of the top 100-or-so universities, or ones in Russell Group, will require at least ABB (up to A*A*A). Other unis will have lower entry requirements. It also depends on the course, for example maths is more competitive than MFL so has higher entry requirements. If you choose a course with a foundation year, you'll need lower grades.

The Which website allows you to do a search by subject you want to study + your predicted grades https://university.which.co.uk/courses

ReputationRep:

London met would accept you but can't think of anywhere else. Look at the bottom three unis on the university rankings to see where you can apply.
    Maybe consider a shelf stacking or a similar apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't sweat it too much for low early predictions, here's why:

1) APS: Some Colleges base their early predictions based on Average Points Score from GCSEs, because there is so little raw evidence to give a definitive A Level Prediction.

2) Waayyyyyyy too Early: Even if they didn't base it on APS, it's based on like probably super early tests/essays/homeworks, in which getting lower grades is expected as you are moving from GCSE to A Level, having a low start is actually very common, most people who initially get predicted grade Cs go on to get Bs As and A*s, you have 2 more years to truly develop and show your true potential.

So no, this isn't an accurate prediction of what you'll be in 2 years time, quite the opposite really.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe consider a shelf stacking[/QUOTE]

Seriously??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    I wouldn't sweat it too much for low early predictions, here's why:

1) APS: Some Colleges base their early predictions based on Average Points Score from GCSEs, because there is so little raw evidence to give a definitive A Level Prediction.

2) Waayyyyyyy too Early: Even if they didn't base it on APS, it's based on like probably super early tests/essays/homeworks, in which getting lower grades is expected as you are moving from GCSE to A Level, having a low start is actually very common, most people who initially get predicted grade Cs go on to get Bs As and A*s, you have 2 more years to truly develop and show your true potential.

So no, this isn't an accurate prediction of what you'll be in 2 years time, quite the opposite really.
    Really encouraging, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Some universities will accept pretty much anything, money is money. Though you will find somewhere with those grades. You just have to do your own research.

ReputationRep:

These days, you'll pretty much find at least one university that will take you even with rock bottom A-Level grades (a C is not rock-bottom two months into A-Levels, by the way)

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't worry if I were you so early on. I got a low D in my first History test in Year 12 and I am now predicted an A*/A. I don't know how they're predicting your grades at this moment so soon after you have started your A Levels but you can definitely improve over the next 2 years.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There are also quite a number of universities that accept Cs generally, and some courses tend to have minimal entry criteria anyway due to the nature of the subject (primarily visual/performing arts subjects where portfolio evaluation or audition tends to have a greater importance, with the except of a few very academic courses such as Fine Art at Oxford and UCL or Music at Oxbridge).

ReputationRep:
    I’m in my first year of sixth form and I’m predicted C, C, D. However I know that I can achieve A’s and B’s. Your predictions are just letters, and should have no affect on what you are capable of achieving. If you want to achieve higher, there’s nothing but the amount of effort you’re willing to put in stopping you. They’re just indicators, and your fate is in your own hands.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    London met would accept you but can't think of anywhere else. Look at the bottom three unis on the university rankings to see where you can apply.
    Maybe consider a shelf stacking or a similar apprenticeship?
    Lmao guess you've taken your own advice here.

ReputationRep:

wait so you are i nyear 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    Lmao guess you've taken your own advice here.
    I'm predicted A*A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    im guessing you are... everyone gets Cs and Ds at the beginning of the year but working hard will eventually get you much better grades by the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    wait so you are i nyear 12?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe consider a shelf stacking
    Seriously??[/QUOTE]
    Yes it is the only viable option really

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.