The Student Room Group

Medicine gap year

I am considering applying to medicine at 2019 cause I havent done the UKCAT. But ive already sent my UCAS application for pharmacy and then apply for GEM but i realised this is a harder way of getting into medicine.

Would this look bad and affect my chances of getting into med?
Original post by Jm562
I am considering applying to medicine at 2019 cause I havent done the UKCAT. But ive already sent my UCAS application for pharmacy and then apply for GEM but i realised this is a harder way of getting into medicine.

Would this look bad and affect my chances of getting into med?

Take a Gap year My son did , he applied with achieved grades and got offers he is studying medicine at the moment,Make sure you achieve the A levels grades expected for medicine,you can always turn down your offer of pharmacy after you find out what grades you get .

My son got 3 A* so he turned down clinical science at Bradford on 31 August explaining that he wanted to try medicine after Gap year,Clinical science too gave him offer for year after if he didn't get in.Luckly he got the offer for medicine.

GEM is very competitive and very hard to get in .
Reply 2
Original post by S1966
Take a Gap year My son did , he applied with achieved grades and got offers he is studying medicine at the moment,Make sure you achieve the A levels grades expected for medicine,you can always turn down your offer of pharmacy after you find out what grades you get .

My son got 3 A* so he turned down clinical science at Bradford on 31 August explaining that he wanted to try medicine after Gap year,Clinical science too gave him offer for year after if he didn't get in.Luckly he got the offer for medicine.

GEM is very competitive and very hard to get in .

Dont know yet if i can achieve 3A*! But i will try my best to. Can I ask which unis he applied to and which uni he is in now? Thank you for this!
Original post by Jm562
Dont know yet if i can achieve 3A*! But i will try my best to. Can I ask which unis he applied to and which uni he is in now? Thank you for this!

He applied to Leicester,Liverpool,Exeter and foundation medicine Southampton ,he received interviews from Leicester, Liverpool and Exeter,he got offer from Leicester and Liverpool,put on waiting list by Exeter,He chose Liverpool after visiting university during offer holders day found it interesting after talking to medics.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending