Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone from group chat sold my phone number Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I never had whatsapp because I don't like giving out my number. However all the uni group chats were on whatsapp (possibly because most of the international students didn't want to use the Facebook one set up by the uni.)
    So I kind of had no choice - join whatsapp and give them my number or just be completely out of the loop (I'm a fresher).
    However last week a girl on my course sold my number to a company. I know who it is because I answered one of the unknown number calls and they said that she had recommended me for this photo shoot. (And it's defo not legit because I have never spoken to this girl face to face and I am not model material.) But ever since then I have been receiving calls everyday from various companies and it's made me feel really upset and vulnerable. (It's also disruptive as it's often in lectures.) I'm autistic and find it difficult to speak to people on the phone, so normally the only people with my number are my family, some close friends (tho they know I prefer to text) or medical services. Because I do not know the number of the various services I have been under I force myself to always answer the phone in case it's an appointment reminder or something to do with a referral etc... But now I have companies calling me too it's really stressing me out because if I ignore them (they're not always unknown/ hidden numbers) it could be the doctors but I'll never know.
    Is there anything I can do about this? Should I tell my uni to discipline this student (though that seems a bit weird as I have no material proof it was her)? Can I do anything to redact my number? I've had the same phone number since I was 8 years old so don't really want to change it! (And anyway she could just give out my number again because I rely heavily on the group chat for help and reminders from other students).
    Is this a normal occurrence on whatsapp group chats? Basically help! 😂😢😭 thanks guys xxxx
    (Ps really sorry but have no idea which forum this belongs in ??)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you confronted the girl who you think you sold it? What did she say?

I know you were against it, but I would contact your mobile phone company to change your number. These companies know your number and are passing it around, it will be impossible to block them all. Share your new number with your close friends. Is there anyway to communicate with people without using WhatsApp, for example, Facebook Messenger?

ReputationRep:
    I can't help in relation to what to say to her/ uni etc but on the phone side of things, assuming your on a smartphone, have a look at an app called truecaller. whenever your phone rings it will tell you who it is provided it's on their database which 9 times out of 10 it is, I get a lot of spam calls & it really helps. it will tell me who's calling and if they have been reported as spam, and you can block numbers too so they can't call or text you. I have used it for ages and it works Well. another option is to ask them to take your number off of their system, I try that occasionally and it seems to work. or as cheesecakelove suggested get your number changed.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20171104_132808-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  45.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20171104_132826-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  46.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    That should give you an idea, that's my call logs from a little while ago, I will try and find a photo of the screen when someone rings as that will make more sense

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2075958300-compressed.webp.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  83.8 KB it comes up like this, so you can see clearly who/ what it is , mine comes up with a block button so if it's a spam caller I just press decline then block and it's all sorted just like That! hope this helps feel free to pm me if you need any more help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if the uni could do anything about this; as it really has nothing to do with them.

Why is your phone on during lectures anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I'm not sure if the uni could do anything about this; as it really has nothing to do with them.

Why is your phone on during lectures anyway?
    I'm allowed to record audio on my phone, and I have it on silent, it's just annoying that it goes off!
    Yeah I didn't think the uni would be able to do anything, but my family keep saying I should tell the uni, but I honestly don't know what they could do anyway! 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Have you confronted the girl who you think you sold it? What did she say?

I know you were against it, but I would contact your mobile phone company to change your number. These companies know your number and are passing it around, it will be impossible to block them all. Share your new number with your close friends. Is there anyway to communicate with people without using WhatsApp, for example, Facebook Messenger?
    I'd change my number but if I continue to use whatsapp then it's a bit pointless. I've tried to persuade people to use Facebook messenger, but a large proportion of my coursemates don't have Facebook.
    I asked one of the girl's friends about it (because I do know him but I don't know her) and he kind of said "lol she'd totally do that sorry, she's really selfish and a bit silly about that kind of thing", and someone else not on my course but who gave her their number said they'd been contacted about the photoshoot thing too. I was going to message her about it, but I don't see why she'd be honest about it. I might try to talk to her in person if I see her and try to explain that it's really caused a lot of faff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flintyboy)
    I can't help in relation to what to say to her/ uni etc but on the phone side of things, assuming your on a smartphone, have a look at an app called truecaller. whenever your phone rings it will tell you who it is provided it's on their database which 9 times out of 10 it is, I get a lot of spam calls & it really helps. it will tell me who's calling and if they have been reported as spam, and you can block numbers too so they can't call or text you. I have used it for ages and it works Well. another option is to ask them to take your number off of their system, I try that occasionally and it seems to work. or as cheesecakelove suggested get your number changed.
    This sounds brilliant, I'll download it now!! Thanks! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StealingThunder)
    So I never had whatsapp because I don't like giving out my number. However all the uni group chats were on whatsapp (possibly because most of the international students didn't want to use the Facebook one set up by the uni.)
    So I kind of had no choice - join whatsapp and give them my number or just be completely out of the loop (I'm a fresher).
    However last week a girl on my course sold my number to a company. I know who it is because I answered one of the unknown number calls and they said that she had recommended me for this photo shoot. (And it's defo not legit because I have never spoken to this girl face to face and I am not model material.) But ever since then I have been receiving calls everyday from various companies and it's made me feel really upset and vulnerable. (It's also disruptive as it's often in lectures.) I'm autistic and find it difficult to speak to people on the phone, so normally the only people with my number are my family, some close friends (tho they know I prefer to text) or medical services. Because I do not know the number of the various services I have been under I force myself to always answer the phone in case it's an appointment reminder or something to do with a referral etc... But now I have companies calling me too it's really stressing me out because if I ignore them (they're not always unknown/ hidden numbers) it could be the doctors but I'll never know.
    Is there anything I can do about this? Should I tell my uni to discipline this student (though that seems a bit weird as I have no material proof it was her)? Can I do anything to redact my number? I've had the same phone number since I was 8 years old so don't really want to change it! (And anyway she could just give out my number again because I rely heavily on the group chat for help and reminders from other students).
    Is this a normal occurrence on whatsapp group chats? Basically help! 😂😢😭 thanks guys xxxx
    (Ps really sorry but have no idea which forum this belongs in ??)
    This idea really depends on your phone and I’m not 100% sure it’s possible. but potentially you may be able to get a new number for actually calling texting etc but keep the old number just for WhatsApp then you don’t need to worry about the same thing happening again to the same extent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.