Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wondering which option is the most economical. Catered accommodation is £40 more per week than self-catered at UCL Garden Halls, but there are obviously restrictions on time etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    Wondering which option is the most economical. Catered accommodation is £40 more per week than self-catered at UCL Garden Halls, but there are obviously restrictions on time etc.
    It kind of depends on your eating habits. I am a bit of a fussy eater, I can't eat any spicy food as it triggers asthma attacks, and generally don't eat much. I went for self catered and spend ~£20-£30 per week including snacks / toiletries etc. However other people in my accommodation get lots of takeaways and this obviously costs a lot more. I don't know the specific situation at garden halls, but my friend in Connaught hall is catered and it suits her fine. She gets breakfast and dinner. It's quite nice being catered because you get to know the people in your halls better, and she never has to worry about grocery shopping really. However she probably pays more than I do and I don't think it covers the weekend and she has to buy stuff for lunch. (Although the UCL cafes have p cheap food so it's not terrible.) There isn't a huge difference between catered vs non catered, it's mainly down to preference. I also probs save money because I sometimes can't be bothered to cook myself dinner so I just have an apple or something and call it a night. But I'm not as well fed! 😂
    It's a really personal decision tho
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    As long as you cook for yourself (rather than get takeaways) and plan your meals, self catering always works out cheaper, food for one person should come out at around £20-£25 a week (that is 3 meals per day 7x a week)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.