Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Offered relevant employment, 1st year student Watch

ReputationRep:
    civil eng student offered employment on a major civil eng project(hinkley) for a major contactor
    Should I leave uni o get a years work exp, then reapply next year

Or is it not worth a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigstu99)
    civil eng student offered employment on a major civil eng project(hinkley) for a major contactor

take the year of experiance.

University will always be there. It does not go away or change, it will be the same next year as the year after.

Work experiance on the other hand is valuable and cant always be guaranteed.

Although the likelyhood is that you will be able to secure more work, if you are capable of securing this - personally I would take the experience as the safer option, knowing that university is a 100% certainty for the year after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigstu99)

Look at the content of the job. If you think it will be beneficial for you and good experience, take the role. Learning in a job whilst earning seems like the better option. If you want to, you can return to uni in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    take the year of experiance.

University will always be there. It does not go away or change, it will be the same next year as the year after.

Work experiance on the other hand is valuable and cant always be guaranteed.

Although the likelyhood is that you will be able to secure more work, if you are capable of securing this - personally I would take the experience as the safer option, knowing that university is a 100% certainty for the year after.
    Just the thing is I'm already 21 so then I'll be starting at 22. Would you still say it's worth it. I'm on the fence as I'd like to get the degree out the way as I hate being in education and I'd love this stage of my life to be done sooner rather than later

I may not get the offers from the same unis for next year, as the places are competitive

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.