Ebenezer1020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
do u think the medical school acceptance r-ates will increase due to the uk leaving the e.u and the stress of the nhs. the nhs need more doctors so does that mean the number of people accepted will increase?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I vaguely recall seeing something indicating that there was a not insignificant increase in medical school applications this year. I doubt we will see any significant changes immediately as the increased demand won't be matched by an immediate increase in supply, particularly with this governments funding model (or lack thereof), and potential further limitations on EU student applications.
user43254314876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I vaguely recall seeing something indicating that there was a not insignificant increase in medical school applications this year. I doubt we will see any significant changes immediately as the increased demand won't be matched by an immediate increase in supply, particularly with this governments funding model (or lack thereof), and potential further limitations on EU student applications.
Yeah, apps are up this year. Maybe on the back of the extra 1500 places over the next few years.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...es-bounce-back
http://www.hefce.ac.uk/lt/healthcare/
Gregor99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Medical school applicants are up mainly by increases in first time applicants
https://www.ucas.com/file/130741/dow...token=g_2adVK0
So supply of medical places has increased but so has demand so acceptance rates may stay at a similar rate. Depends on the distribution of where everyone has applied to where the increase in places have been given.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  337.7 KB
Attached files
username3268444
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Applications are up by 1500 compared to last year. But I believe there is also an increase in places available this year. Let me find a source and double check.
kiatz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by studyious)
Applications are up by 1500 compared to last year. But I believe there is also an increase in places available this year. Let me find a source and double check.
extra 1020 applicants over and above the 500 new places added for 2018
kiatz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no info on where the 500 new places will be in England (rest of UK not getting any)
Gregor99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kiatz)
no info on where the 500 new places will be in England (rest of UK not getting any)
I think it is that there will be an extra 500 new place for England. The Scottish government controls the intake for its medical schools which it is gradually increasing over time. I don't know about Wales and Northern Ireland.
kiatz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
It will be proportion to the population - which makes sense. For example in Yorkshire I think we will get about 100-120 more places? But there are 3 med schools in Yorkshire and the individual distributions are not finalised.
I think the government paper said that it would be in rural areas - Plymouth would be an obvious one if it wanted more places imo
kiatz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Plymouth would be a prime beneficiary but the uni will have to apply to the gov/GMC for more places
user43254314876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kiatz)
It's a fairly even spread of ~15-25 places per school.

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/lt/healthcare/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (676)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed