Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

personal statement help (no work experience) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in studying Civil Engineering at university (I'm hoping at Brunel). I have to write a personal statement, looking at other personal statements online, I've noticed they all have wide range of experiences and skills for it. However, I do not have any experience in engineering. Further, to add to it, I'm currently doing an access course to engineering. So, i'm not so special (haven't done A levels)..

ReputationRep:
    What made you consider a degree in civil engineering - perhaps you have done some wider reading or seen videos about it?

You could also mention any extracurriculars you have to demonstrate your skills and achievements.

An access course is a good start, you could mention this also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shift_8)
    I am interested in studying Civil Engineering at university (I'm hoping at Brunel). I have to write a personal statement, looking at other personal statements online, I've noticed they all have wide range of experiences and skills for it. However, I do not have any experience in engineering. Further, to add to it, I'm currently doing an access course to engineering. So, i'm not so special (haven't done A levels)..
    Work experience isnt necessary. I dont have any relevant work experience, yet i still wrote a good PS.

Just show ability, aptitude and passion.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Might be harder for you mate... But not the end of the world.

Make sure you show that you're academically able to study Civil Engineering to make up for the lack of Work Experience.

ReputationRep:
    Very, very few people will have work experience in engineering before applying, and arguably it has zero value because whatever you see/learn will be quite far off what you learn at uni or experience during your career. The personal statements you've seen are likely ones produced as example pieces by careers advisers, which isn't really the best source of information.

Just talk about your experience with engineering, particularly hands on activities such as programming arduinos or building RC cars, those are the things which really add value to you as an undergraduate engineering applicant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.