Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should i report my therapist ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was under treatment as an inpatient at a hospital for my mental disorder .

it's been over 12 months since I was discharged.

however it is only now that I am considering reporting my therapist. I have realised my time under treatment could have gone better if I had a better therapist and I am only now regretting it, regretting the fact I didn't change my therapist at that given time.

anyway, reasons for reporting my therapist :

- possible racism ? because of my condition I shower a lot and I am also south Asian. My therapist said this: "why do you need to shower to be so clean , people in your country bathe in the rivers anyway"

- secondly she giggled once when she asked me to tell her about my childhood. Basically I told her that when I was 5 years old or so, I pooped myself at school and then the teacher slapped me. she giggled a bit when I told her this and it made me wanna cry.

-thirdly she was very strict.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The first two points are out of order - it is certainly no way for a professional therapist to act. What did you mean about the third point?

ReputationRep:
    She made one inappropriate remark. You pooped your pants - that's a little funny. Sounds like she wasn't the best therapist but hardly horrendously bad and I sincerely doubt anything will be done and it won't be worth your time to report her.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Laughing at your suffering really doesn't indicate she's a good therapist. I would report her but I wouldn't expect anything major to happen unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Yes, report her.

ReputationRep:
    This is scary...

You should have told her there and then that you found this inappropriate/offending but I know that is a hard thing to actually do :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    I was under treatment as an inpatient at a hospital for my mental disorder .

it's been over 12 months since I was discharged.

however it is only now that I am considering reporting my therapist. I have realised my time under treatment could have gone better if I had a better therapist and I am only now regretting it, regretting the fact I didn't change my therapist at that given time.

anyway, reasons for reporting my therapist :

- possible racism ? because of my condition I shower a lot and I am also south Asian. My therapist said this: "why do you need to shower to be so clean , people in your country bathe in the rivers anyway"

- secondly she giggled once when she asked me to tell her about my childhood. Basically I told her that when I was 5 years old or so, I pooped myself at school and then the teacher slapped me. she giggled a bit when I told her this and it made me wanna cry.

-thirdly she was very strict.
    For the first thing definitely.
    That's racist and has absolutely no point to it.

For the second, probably. I hate to say it, but sometimes things that are traumatic to you can be a little funny or at least surprising in a way that makes people laugh a tiny bit. Obviously the trauma to you is not funny (and nor is hitting kids in general), but therapists are human and can get caught off guard. Sometimes stuff that isn't funny can still surprise you enough to go "wha?" and kinda giggle a bit about how odd it was or whatever. It's not the right thing to do, but it can happen.
    If that happens though they should apologise because it's not nice thinking somebody you're opening your soul to finds your trauma funny.

For the last it really depends on what you mean by strict.
    If you mean strict like not being lenient with some rules or just sounding a bit bossy then it does suck a bit, but it isn't really an issue. If you mean strict in a way that goes beyond just the rules or in a more controlling or demeaning way then it is an issue.

All in all I would make a report that includes everything. Including examples of her being strict.
    If nothing else she'll hopefully be told some of her behaviours have made somebody uncomfortable and be asked to act in a nicer way with people.

Hope that helps and that you're not too upset by all of it. Sometimes people are mean or inappropriate, but please don't let it make you think less of yourself or anything. I imagine the second thing could be rather upsetting and make you think twice about opening up- but remember it was just one silly person and they might not have even meant it.
    Best wishes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.