Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best way to keep things halal? How do you know if someone is for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently talking to a guy to get to know him properly. We went to the same university but we didn't talk to each other as we were on different courses. We saw each other around and both liked the character of each other (from what we saw). I didn't think anything of it as I didn't think he would approach me. A couple of days after our graduation, he messaged me on Facebook and said he would like to get to know me better potentially for marriage. A couple of days ago he said he wants to meet me in person. We both want to do things the halal way. So he said he has told his sisters about me and will bring one of his sister to the meeting to keep things halal. However I have told him that I feel like things are moving too fast as we haven't been speaking that long. His response was to take as much time as I needed. I know it's early days but how do you know whether someone is right for you? Obviously I'm still getting to know him but I feel like the more I speak to him, the more I'll get attached to him and if he isn't meant for me, I'd rather not talk to him as I don't really speak to guys. We are both serious about finding someone for marriage and not a relationship. We have no intentions of getting into a relationship. So far we both feel like we are compatible. He is on his deen which is a must. He's the type of guy I would like to marry. Regarding the meeting, I'm a bit hesitant as I don't have a sister who I can talk to about this situation or take with me. The fact that my parents don't know is making me hesitant to meet him and sister. But I was thinking to tell my aunty so at least someone in my family knows the situation. I'm not that close to my family so I can't talk about these things and I would only tell my parents about him further down the line if we both want to get married. Am I doing anything wrong in not telling my parents? What's the best way to go about this situation? And how will I know he's the one for me? (Just thought I'll put out there that we are both Pakistani)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    just bang him ffs

ReputationRep:
    Most people are in a relationship for months or years before marriage. Marriage is a commitment that you shouldn't make without being certain you want to spend the rest of your life with a person. The only way to tell if a person is right for you is spending a LOT of time with them. Moving in together should be done before marriage. Trust me you don't want to find out how bad of a housemate a person is AFTER you promised to live with them till death do you part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anxnymous)
    I'm currently talking to a guy to get to know him properly. We went to the same university but we didn't talk to each other as we were on different courses. We saw each other around and both liked the character of each other (from what we saw). I didn't think anything of it as I didn't think he would approach me. A couple of days after our graduation, he messaged me on Facebook and said he would like to get to know me better potentially for marriage. A couple of days ago he said he wants to meet me in person. We both want to do things the halal way. So he said he has told his sisters about me and will bring one of his sister to the meeting to keep things halal. However I have told him that I feel like things are moving too fast as we haven't been speaking that long. His response was to take as much time as I needed. I know it's early days but how do you know whether someone is right for you? Obviously I'm still getting to know him but I feel like the more I speak to him, the more I'll get attached to him and if he isn't meant for me, I'd rather not talk to him as I don't really speak to guys. We are both serious about finding someone for marriage and not a relationship. We have no intentions of getting into a relationship. So far we both feel like we are compatible. He is on his deen which is a must. He's the type of guy I would like to marry. Regarding the meeting, I'm a bit hesitant as I don't have a sister who I can talk to about this situation or take with me. The fact that my parents don't know is making me hesitant to meet him and sister. But I was thinking to tell my aunty so at least someone in my family knows the situation. I'm not that close to my family so I can't talk about these things and I would only tell my parents about him further down the line if we both want to get married. Am I doing anything wrong in not telling my parents? What's the best way to go about this situation? And how will I know he's the one for me? (Just thought I'll put out there that we are both Pakistani)
    Convert to Christianity. Poor, poor girl.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  orthodoxy is the solution.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  21.1 KB Agreed
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    Convert to Christianity. Poor, poor girl.

ReputationRep:
    How supportive these answers are. Stop trolling the girl who's obviously looking for a solid, correct answer.

I'm sorry I can't help you much on this since I don't know a lot about it either. But someone had to say something to the islamophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reminiscence-)
    How supportive these answers are. Stop trolling the girl who's obviously looking for a solid, correct answer.

I'm sorry I can't help you much on this since I don't know a lot about it either. But someone had to say something to the islamophobia.
    Thank you, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:

My first answer was legit. Second is just a meme, stop throwing **** like "Islamophobia" around, people are just being dicks for the sake of it. If a girl was telling similar things due to being a devout Catholic, more people would mock. It's not racist, just a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotKira)
    Most people are in a relationship for months or years before marriage. Marriage is a commitment that you shouldn't make without being certain you want to spend the rest of your life with a person. The only way to tell if a person is right for you is spending a LOT of time with them. Moving in together should be done before marriage. Trust me you don't want to find out how bad of a housemate a person is AFTER you promised to live with them till death do you part
    Many Muslim couples end up happy together without all this. I would like to do the same. But thanks for your input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotKira)
    My first answer was legit. Second is just a meme, stop throwing **** like "Islamophobia" around, people are just being dicks for the sake of it. If a girl was telling similar things due to being a devout Catholic, more people would mock. It's not racist, just a joke
    I actually wasn't talking about you. I never said anything about Christianity, and people telling those things to a Catholic would be wrong too.

Even though from what I can tell you from being a Muslim and Pakistani, and from her post, moving in is probably not an option. But again, I was never targeting you.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should tell someone within your immediate family rather than your aunty. Me being from a Pakistani family myself I feel like an aunt would just be bragging about how she helped you when you needed it. And that's probably the last way you would want your parents to find out.

ReputationRep:
    islamophobia.
    islamophobia?? yeah hes right lads we're sh*tting ourselves over here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anxnymous)
    Many Muslim couples end up happy together without all this. I would like to do the same. But thanks for your input.
    Convert to Christianity for an abuse-free/ acid attack free marriage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous0901)
    I think you should tell someone within your immediate family rather than your aunty. Me being from a Pakistani family myself I feel like an aunt would just be bragging about how she helped you when you needed it. And that's probably the last way you would want your parents to find out.
    I understand where you're coming from. But she's not the typical aunty. I don't think she will do that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.