Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying an iPhone X as a collectors item Watch

ReputationRep:
    If one were to buy the iPhone X for cash, and never open the box, could that become a collector's item in a decade?

ReputationRep:
    no one knows the answer to that
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Mobile phones.

Always hard to predict what will be considered collectible in the future, though.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, the value of technology tends to go down with time. Maybe in a hundred years tho

ReputationRep:
    Nope it won’t. If you’re going to buy it, open it now and enjoy it now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Moved to Mobile phones.

Always hard to predict what will be considered collectible in the future, though.
    PRSOM.

If it was some "collectors" or "one day" edition, then maybe :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The old iPods (just for music) are worth a little bit now because they stopped doing 120gb models.

Think for the future what will happen to the iPhone. Apple themselves have said the expected time that a user should be done with one of their phones is a year after purchase and then they'd expect an upgrade to a new one. The old iPods aren't as reliant on OS and internet connectivity as the iPhone X is which means that they can last longer, whereas give it 5 years Apple would have made the X look redundant.

A model will probably end up in a tech museum or something. You'll probably always get a collector of Apple but if the X isn't offering anything earth shattering right now, in the future it will be regarded as a 'meh' model most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be crazy Fruli. If we knew that we'd simply work out the expected value in 10 years time and discount it at the risk free rate of interest to see whether it's present value matches the asking price and make a rational decision based thereupon.

ReputationRep:
    No, because the specs would be literal trash in 10 years time.
    It would be better if you collected a golden Nokia from like 2005 or something, those are worth quite a bit now.
    Or a limited edition item, appreciates in value each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    The old iPods (just for music) are worth a little bit now because they stopped doing 120gb models.

Think for the future what will happen to the iPhone. Apple themselves have said the expected time that a user should be done with one of their phones is a year after purchase and then they'd expect an upgrade to a new one. The old iPods aren't as reliant on OS and internet connectivity as the iPhone X is which means that they can last longer, whereas give it 5 years Apple would have made the X look redundant.

A model will probably end up in a tech museum or something. You'll probably always get a collector of Apple but if the X isn't offering anything earth shattering right now, in the future it will be regarded as a 'meh' model most likely.
    I see. I was once told that an unboxed iphone 4 is now seen as a collectors item, worth 10k.

Not sure why iphone 4 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Don't be crazy Fruli. If we knew that we'd simply work out the expected value in 10 years time and discount it at the risk free rate of interest to see whether it's present value matches the asking price and make a rational decision based thereupon.
    lol, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    lol, I suppose.
    I'm not saying it won't be worth money, I just mean if you knew for certain the price would surely be higher than it is now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    I see. I was once told that an unboxed iphone 4 is now seen as a collectors item, worth 10k.

Not sure why iphone 4 though.

Not heard of that before. iPhone 4 is probably one of my favourite designs of the iPhones though. That might be a reason however lots of internet 'news' outlets like to claim a product is now 'worth' something because somebody listed it on eBay for that much. It's only worth that if somebody pays that much for it. Like those new 5 pound notes.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The first editions of a successful tech product can be worth money in the future. So the original iPhone or original Mac or original Apple I (they are rare and worth a lot)

But an iPhone X, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    Not heard of that before. iPhone 4 is probably one of my favourite designs of the iPhones though. That might be a reason however lots of internet 'news' outlets like to claim a product is now 'worth' something because somebody listed it on eBay for that much. It's only worth that if somebody pays that much for it. Like those new 5 pound notes.
    Ahh I see. That might explain it.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much anything that's kept in the box in mint condition can become a appealing item for collectors. The only issue is that it will take ages for it to finally be considered an antique and to be worth more then once your first bought it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Lol no.

Why would you do that?

You will still be able to buy a brand new one in two years or so for a lot less.
    No point spending all that money right now and not use it with the hope it will become a collectors item.

If you want to put it down for a collectors item, buy it in a year or two if you must and save yourself some money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topps)
    Lol no.

Why would you do that?

You will still be able to buy a brand new one in two years or so for a lot less.
    No point spending all that money right now and not use it with the hope it will become a collectors item.

If you want to put it down for a collectors item, buy it in a year or two if you must and save yourself some money.
    Haha, okay. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've been researching Apple watch as I'm buying one and didn't realise series 2 has been discontinued. That suggests to me that the series 2 apple watch could become a collector's item.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    I've been researching Apple watch as I'm buying one and didn't realise series 2 has been discontinued. That suggests to me that the series 2 apple watch could become a collector's item.
    Or it's been superseded by a shiny new model. The original watch is more likely to be the "collector's item" in about 40+ years, perhaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.