Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have to reference the same book twice or more at the end? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my essay, I've used the same textbook multiple times. I've done in-text references all throughout. But when it comes to listing my references, do I include multiple references for the same book just with different page numbers, or it is one reference but listing the page numbers?

For example, this is the reference for the book: Eysenck, M., Keane, M. (2005) Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook. 5th edition. East Sussex: Psychology Press Ltd.

So would I just add all the page numbers I've used to one reference or would it be multiple references each for the different page numbers?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    In my essay, I've used the same textbook multiple times. I've done in-text references all throughout. But when it comes to listing my references, do I include multiple references for the same book just with different page numbers, or it is one reference but listing the page numbers?

For example, this is the reference for the book: Eysenck, M., Keane, M. (2005) Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook. 5th edition. East Sussex: Psychology Press Ltd.

So would I just add all the page numbers I've used to one reference or would it be multiple references each for the different page numbers?
    Which referencing system are you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Which referencing system are you using?
    Harvard system
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Harvard system
    You need page numbers in text but you don't need to in your reference list I think. If you submit your assignments electronically there's loads of tools online and built into word to do it for you so there's no need to do it yourself

ReputationRep:
    Just put all the page numbers in one reference.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You need page numbers in text but you don't need to in your reference list I think. If you submit your assignments electronically there's loads of tools online and built into word to do it for you so there's no need to do it yourself
    You're telling me Word will reference my sources for me? All this time I've been manually doing it and there's actually a way for it to be done automatically? Wow I feel like a dweeb
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're telling me Word will reference my sources for me? All this time I've been manually doing it and there's actually a way for it to be done automatically? Wow I feel like a dweeb
    You re not a dweeb you d have to go look for it to know, depends which version you re using but it's under a referencing tab
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you use a references manager like Mendeley, you can install a word plugin. You simply press a button to insert an in-text citation (using the referencing system of your choice) and once you're doing, you press another button and it generates a full reference list.

But to answer your question, no, you only reference the book once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Yes, if you use a references manager like Mendeley, you can install a word plugin. You simply press a button to insert an in-text citation (using the referencing system of your choice) and once you're doing, you press another button and it generates a full reference list.

But to answer your question, no, you only reference the book once.
    This is great information, thank you so much for helping

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.