Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help: Feel like I picked the wrong course and i've wasted all my hard work Watch

ReputationRep:
    I sort of blindly applied to study Mathematics with a 3 A* prediction but although I am good at maths I'm not a maths genius hence my entrance exam went horribly and my chances of a good uni (oxford/imperial) are out of the question.

I aim to land a career in the finance sector so my biggest regret is not choosing to do Economics AS because I feel I would have been much better suited to an Economics degree and my chances of getting into a good (oxbridge/lse) uni would have been far greater, I know you can study economics without an A level in economics but I study further maths which most uni's wouldn't count as a separate A level hence it was out of the question.

Not sure what to do just looking for some advice as I feel i've wasted years of hard work as I am now facing higher entrance requirements for a lower standard uni whereas I could have got lower entrance requirements for a top uni in Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarmonyKORINE)
    I sort of blindly applied to study Mathematics with a 3 A* prediction but although I am good at maths I'm not a maths genius hence my entrance exam went horribly and my chances of a good uni (oxford/imperial) are out of the question.

I aim to land a career in the finance sector so my biggest regret is not choosing to do Economics AS because I feel I would have been much better suited to an Economics degree and my chances of getting into a good (oxbridge/lse) uni would have been far greater, I know you can study economics without an A level in economics but I study further maths which most uni's wouldn't count as a separate A level hence it was out of the question.

Not sure what to do just looking for some advice as I feel i've wasted years of hard work as I am now facing higher entrance requirements for a lower standard uni whereas I could have got lower entrance requirements for a top uni in Economics.
    Don't settle for second best - take a gap year and sit economics A-level, then reapply for LSE/Oxbridge for economics

ReputationRep:
    There are many good Unis, life goes on even outside Oxbridge/LSE.
    You could take a gap year and re-apply.
    You could see what's available in UCAS extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Issy Geraldson)
    Don't settle for second best - take a gap year and sit economics A-level, then reapply for LSE/Oxbridge for economics
    Doubt they'd accept many reappliers though

ReputationRep:

What I would do to do mathematics at university.I don't do further maths so I cannot unfortunately I am considering ti so much to the point that I am considering having a gap year and doing further maths. I myself never found maths the easiest I worked incredibly hard during GCSE's to receive an A.Which I know isn't amazing so I might stick to medicine not sure to be honest.I am doing the best in mathematics out of chemistry and biology.

ReputationRep:

You don't need economics to study economics and my sister does a level economics she says it is quite boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    You don't need economics to study economics and my sister does a level economics she says it is quite boring.
    I think with my A levels being Maths, Further Maths and a science it would have probably been needed for me as most top Economics degrees looking for an Economics A Level usually in applicants

ReputationRep:
    Doubt they'd accept many reappliers though
    Check to see if they require all A-levels to be sat in one exam season. Although I do believe you are placing far too much stock onto a few unis. Unless you want to go into Investment Banking, then the uni you study at isn't a very important factor in getting a job.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's worth noting that not all schools even offer Economics, so much like Further Maths, it could be waived if you have good results in mathematical subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I think with my A levels being Maths, Further Maths and a science it would have probably been needed for me as most top Economics degrees looking for an Economics A Level usually in applicants
    Have you really checked this? Look at some unis ... maths is more iimportant than A level Econ.

ReputationRep:
    What I would do to do mathematics at university.I don't do further maths so I cannot unfortunately I am considering ti so much to the point that I am considering having a gap year and doing further maths. I myself never found maths the easiest I worked incredibly hard during GCSE's to receive an A.Which I know isn't amazing so I might stick to medicine not sure to be honest.I am doing the best in mathematics out of chemistry and biology.
    You can take a maths degree without double maths.

ReputationRep:
    l

you could call up unis, I know at Durham they do natural sciences where an option is economics and maths, if you have put Durham down for maths

ReputationRep:
    I haven't come across any unis that require Economics A level but they do require Maths A level and the top unis would expect A*. Maths ability is very important for the top unis which is why most of them will require you to sit maths based admissions tests even for Economics.

You wouldn't be considered for LSE as they discount Further Maths.

Have you considered continuing with the Maths degree then taking an MSc in Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruh2132)
    l

you could call up unis, I know at Durham they do natural sciences where an option is economics and maths, if you have put Durham down for maths
    You have to have specific (corresponding) A Levels for NatSci though, iirc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    You have to have specific (corresponding) A Levels for NatSci though, iirc.
    Wasnt sure about that thought you could just apply for Nat. Sci. with any A levels, plus I'm pretty sure most unis don't require economics to study economics most entry requirements for economics and maths will just say maths/F. maths no?

It only says mathematics as a requirement for Economics nat sci at durham

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for NatSci with any A Levels, you just can't take certain combinations without the right A Levels. That said I could apply for Bio/Psych, even though I didn't do Psych at AL.

It'd be worth calling the uni directly, I had a search through the website and found absolutely nothing on Math/Econ requirements...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You can take a maths degree without double maths.
    Few universities would allow me to do so and most want entry exams anyway it would put me at a great disadvantage for me not to do double maths.

ReputationRep:
    I would say consider a GAP year with the mindset that this 1 year of your life, while it may not feel like it, could be a big turning point to achieve what you want. You could take Economics AS/A2 if you wanted, boost your application and spend the rest of your time maybe working a job where possible or doing whatever you want. Taking a 1 year break to putting everything in order could ensure you spend the following years studying and working in a field you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit Joshi)
    I would say consider a GAP year with the mindset that this 1 year of your life, while it may not feel like it, could be a big turning point to achieve what you want. You could take Economics AS/A2 if you wanted, boost your application and spend the rest of your time maybe working a job where possible or doing whatever you want. Taking a 1 year break to putting everything in order could ensure you spend the following years studying and working in a field you want.
    I would also second this. I honestly believe young people don't have enough to really know what they want to do; I took a year out to get my priorities straightened and do a Biology A Level, and I don't regret it.

One year out of your life is significantly better than three (or more!) wondering if you made the right choice.

ReputationRep:
    Few universities would allow me to do so and most want entry exams anyway it would put me at a great disadvantage for me not to do double maths.
    Most universities will allow you to do maths without further maths, and only a few have entry exams/ STEP requirements. Which ones are you looking at? You can check unistats type websites to see the percentage of students without Further Maths if you want some assurance that you won't be disadvantaged.

Anyway, there's no great harm in spending a year doing Further Maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.