Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Journey to Med School (U,U,C - AAA) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so hi guys.

Basically… I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. Yet. But I do want to start a blog documenting my journey through my ALevels. Ideally I would have made a YouTube account and would have made videos but I’m too nervous for that. I also don’t want to buy any decent editing software or a camera so this will have to do.

A bit of background about me

My GCSE grades were:

History -A (I was so happy with this. It is the one I worked the hardest to get and did not believe for one second that I was capable of. Would have loved to have done it for ALevel but know it would have stressed me out far too much. It is still my favourite subject though. And to make matters to even better I had been one mark off an A*!!)

Maths – 6 (this one did annoy me as I really wanted a 7. I think if I’d have bothered to learn my proofing I would have got a 7, but I didn’t so it’s my own fault really.)

Biology -A (I had wanted A’s in all my sciences but swore I wasn’t capable of it. I thought at best I had gotten a C in Biology because my B2/B3 exams had gone so badly. But my B1 had gone so well I guess that had made up for it.)

Physics -A

Chemistry -A

ECDL –D* (I hadn’t finished this by the end of the school year so had to come in during the summer holidays for two days to work on finishing the last exam. Are school made us do it properly, but people from all the other schools I’ve spoken to seem to have cheated and completed the whole course in one day)

RS –A (desperate for an A* in this, thought it was pretty much guaranteed so was super annoyed for this to happen)

English Lit -7 (I’d wanted 7’s in both English’s mainly because it’s what I had achieved in both Year 10 and 11 mocks with absolutely no revision. I got a 6 in Language which is more of an honest representation of my ability I think as I’m sure will sure will become apparent. (My grammar is absolutely appalling.)

Art –C (my teacher hated me. HATED ME. I tried so hard to please him and be friendly to him but he was such a ****. And unfortunately for me he was the person to grade our GCSE’s. (The moderator didn’t look at how mine had been graded bc she only had to look at the best, worst and median grade, and I wasn’t in that sample) The school refuses to remark it but I know my work is worth a lot more than that. So basically yes he lowered my grade. And yes it ****ing pisses me off as it’s my only C. Furthermore he offered zero help and would literally walk away from me when I asked what my next steps should be, or if wat I was doing was okay. Or did I need to do more writing or whatever… He hated me// After History it is the subject I worked the hardest for my grade in. So as you can imagine how angry I am.

I enrolled into college doing

EPQ, DoE gold award, Physics, Chemistry and English Lit. The person who enrolled me was a physics teacher. He kind of persuaded me to do Physics. I also wanted to start with Biology but he wouldn’t let me do 4 subjects.

On results day I had been on holiday so hadn’t been able to collect my results. When I got home they hadn’t arrived by post either so I had no idea what I had got. I was on holiday again with my entire family the day before enrolment. So we rang the school up and they gave me the results over the phone. I had done a lot better in the sciences than I thought I would have.

Everybody had been telling me all summer and especially during the week before enrolment since we were away that I would regret everything if I didn’t pick science related Alevels. As that would be where I would earnt the most money and would have the easiest life. Anyway they became so annoying I just said “fine whatever. I’ll do sciences if you’ll shut up about it for one minute, but know that if I hate this choice it’s all your fault”

So yeah basically I was peer pressured into changing my Alevel’s (and it was the best thing that could have possibly have happened.) So instead of doing History, English Lit and Government and Politics. I enrolled with 2 sciences and English Lit.

It soon became apparent that I did not enjoy Physics. I hated my teacher and had not made any friends in the class and was also struggling with the content. So after two weeks I asked to change subjects and do Biology instead. This was because I knew I needed to o at least two sciences for a science related degree. As maths wasn’t an option, biology was. It took another two weeks for my timetable to actually change and me to begin Biology. This meant I had missed a month’s content and the first two topics :/

So now:

Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I do enjoy all three of them but am worried about how unpredictable the grading can be for English. We seem to only have focused only on maths in chemistry but I am looking forward to the maths part becoming less of the course. And Biology is actually my favourite subject, but I am getting bad results in it. Really bad.

So results so far:

We have done tests for all our subjects but I have yet to receive a grade for English so…

Chemistry - we have done three tests. I’ve got a C+, a D+, and a U. (I have to resit the last one)

Biology - I’ve gotten two U’s. (I have to resit the tests. These were for the topics I’ve missed)

What’s been going wrong? And how is this blog going to help me?

I haven’t been using my free periods much at all, and when I do I don’t prioritise the work I’ve been set. Instead I might sit in the library and research different Uni open days.

So when I get back to college I need to be using my free periods properly.

I also want to start using my bus journeys to my benefit. I sit on the bus for over 2 hours every day so should probably use that as a time to work. The bus is very calm and relaxed so its def possible to work then. Sometimes I do if I need to get some homework done anyway.

I need to stop excepting lifts into college. What I mean is. My dad might offer to take me into to college at 11:30 bc I don’t have a lesson until then. This means I get zero work done all morning. All college hours should be working hours like they were at GCSE.

I also have yet to revise for a single test :/ This is completely my own fault. I am getting so lazy and my grades and evidencing it.

In the upcoming mocks, (just after Christmas) I want to achieve three B’s.

For my final grades I need A’s.

This is bc I want to study medicine.

I am also going to update you on other aspects of my education such as finding work placements and summer schools.

Today is Saturday and I have college on Monday. I have not done a single piece of homework yet. So today and tomorrow I have to focus on that.

I’m taking my dog on a walk as soon as I’ve finished this, (which will be impossible as the day before yesterday I did 35 mi sponsored walk.) I’m walking up to the care home near me to hand in my CV.

Then I need to work. AGGGH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteMed)
    Okay so hi guys.

Basically… I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. Yet. But I do want to start a blog documenting my journey through my ALevels. Ideally I would have made a YouTube account and would have made videos but I’m too nervous for that. I also don’t want to buy any decent editing software or a camera so this will have to do.

A bit of background about me

My GCSE grades were:

History -A (I was so happy with this. It is the one I worked the hardest to get and did not believe for one second that I was capable of. Would have loved to have done it for ALevel but know it would have stressed me out far too much. It is still my favourite subject though. And to make matters to even better I had been one mark off an A*!!)

Maths – 6 (this one did annoy me as I really wanted a 7. I think if I’d have bothered to learn my proofing I would have got a 7, but I didn’t so it’s my own fault really.)

Biology -A (I had wanted A’s in all my sciences but swore I wasn’t capable of it. I thought at best I had gotten a C in Biology because my B2/B3 exams had gone so badly. But my B1 had gone so well I guess that had made up for it.)

Physics -A

Chemistry -A

ECDL –D* (I hadn’t finished this by the end of the school year so had to come in during the summer holidays for two days to work on finishing the last exam. Are school made us do it properly, but people from all the other schools I’ve spoken to seem to have cheated and completed the whole course in one day)

RS –A (desperate for an A* in this, thought it was pretty much guaranteed so was super annoyed for this to happen)

English Lit -7 (I’d wanted 7’s in both English’s mainly because it’s what I had achieved in both Year 10 and 11 mocks with absolutely no revision. I got a 6 in Language which is more of an honest representation of my ability I think as I’m sure will sure will become apparent. (My grammar is absolutely appalling.)

Art –C (my teacher hated me. HATED ME. I tried so hard to please him and be friendly to him but he was such a ****. And unfortunately for me he was the person to grade our GCSE’s. (The moderator didn’t look at how mine had been graded bc she only had to look at the best, worst and median grade, and I wasn’t in that sample) The school refuses to remark it but I know my work is worth a lot more than that. So basically yes he lowered my grade. And yes it ****ing pisses me off as it’s my only C. Furthermore he offered zero help and would literally walk away from me when I asked what my next steps should be, or if wat I was doing was okay. Or did I need to do more writing or whatever… He hated me// After History it is the subject I worked the hardest for my grade in. So as you can imagine how angry I am.

I enrolled into college doing

EPQ, DoE gold award, Physics, Chemistry and English Lit. The person who enrolled me was a physics teacher. He kind of persuaded me to do Physics. I also wanted to start with Biology but he wouldn’t let me do 4 subjects.

On results day I had been on holiday so hadn’t been able to collect my results. When I got home they hadn’t arrived by post either so I had no idea what I had got. I was on holiday again with my entire family the day before enrolment. So we rang the school up and they gave me the results over the phone. I had done a lot better in the sciences than I thought I would have.

Everybody had been telling me all summer and especially during the week before enrolment since we were away that I would regret everything if I didn’t pick science related Alevels. As that would be where I would earnt the most money and would have the easiest life. Anyway they became so annoying I just said “fine whatever. I’ll do sciences if you’ll shut up about it for one minute, but know that if I hate this choice it’s all your fault”

So yeah basically I was peer pressured into changing my Alevel’s (and it was the best thing that could have possibly have happened.) So instead of doing History, English Lit and Government and Politics. I enrolled with 2 sciences and English Lit.

It soon became apparent that I did not enjoy Physics. I hated my teacher and had not made any friends in the class and was also struggling with the content. So after two weeks I asked to change subjects and do Biology instead. This was because I knew I needed to o at least two sciences for a science related degree. As maths wasn’t an option, biology was. It took another two weeks for my timetable to actually change and me to begin Biology. This meant I had missed a month’s content and the first two topics :/

So now:

Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I do enjoy all three of them but am worried about how unpredictable the grading can be for English. We seem to only have focused only on maths in chemistry but I am looking forward to the maths part becoming less of the course. And Biology is actually my favourite subject, but I am getting bad results in it. Really bad.

So results so far:

We have done tests for all our subjects but I have yet to receive a grade for English so…

Chemistry - we have done three tests. I’ve got a C+, a D+, and a U. (I have to resit the last one)

Biology - I’ve gotten two U’s. (I have to resit the tests. These were for the topics I’ve missed)

What’s been going wrong? And how is this blog going to help me?

I haven’t been using my free periods much at all, and when I do I don’t prioritise the work I’ve been set. Instead I might sit in the library and research different Uni open days.

So when I get back to college I need to be using my free periods properly.

I also want to start using my bus journeys to my benefit. I sit on the bus for over 2 hours every day so should probably use that as a time to work. The bus is very calm and relaxed so its def possible to work then. Sometimes I do if I need to get some homework done anyway.

I need to stop excepting lifts into college. What I mean is. My dad might offer to take me into to college at 11:30 bc I don’t have a lesson until then. This means I get zero work done all morning. All college hours should be working hours like they were at GCSE.

I also have yet to revise for a single test :/ This is completely my own fault. I am getting so lazy and my grades and evidencing it.

In the upcoming mocks, (just after Christmas) I want to achieve three B’s.

For my final grades I need A’s.

This is bc I want to study medicine.

I am also going to update you on other aspects of my education such as finding work placements and summer schools.

Today is Saturday and I have college on Monday. I have not done a single piece of homework yet. So today and tomorrow I have to focus on that.

I’m taking my dog on a walk as soon as I’ve finished this, (which will be impossible as the day before yesterday I did 35 mi sponsored walk.) I’m walking up to the care home near me to hand in my CV.

Then I need to work. AGGGH!
    Good luck! At least you have a plan and know what youre doing...stick to this!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.