Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Major Help with C3 Integration question Please Watch

ReputationRep:
    Integrate: x/x+3 dx, u=x+3

so du/dx = 1 = dx/du

Subbing u into the equation:
    x/u

Rearranging u for x you get u-3=x so therefore (u-3)/u du

What would the next step be? Because I tried doing (u-3)*u^-1 to get 1-3u^-1
    then integrating that you get u-3lnu which is (x+3)-3ln(x+3)...

The answer at the back says (x-3)ln(x+3). Any help where I went wrong is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrToodles4)

so du/dx = 1 = dx/du

x/u

The answer at the back says (x-3)ln(x+3). Any help where I went wrong is greatly appreciated.
    You're correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You're correct.
    Thank you so much. Are you sure? This question really did my head in.

ReputationRep:

so du/dx = 1 = dx/du

x/u

As Zacken said, you are correct. If you're ever in doubt, you can always differentiate again.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. (well you are missing an integration constant + c)

If the answer at the back of the book is x - 3ln(x+3) + c then this is also correct, the +c absords the +3.

If the answer at the back of the book is (x-3)ln(x+3) + c as you have written then it is incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you differentiate you have 1 - \frac 3 {x+3} = \frac{x+3 - 3}{x+3} = \frac x {x+3}.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. (well you are missing an integration constant + c)

If the answer at the back of the book is x - 3ln(x+3) + c then this is also correct, the +c absords the +3.

If the answer at the back of the book is (x-3)ln(x+3) + c as you have written then it is incorrect.
    Oh it does say x-3ln(x+3), my apologies. So is the +3 basically +c? because it did the in the back that the constant is omitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Yes, if you differentiate you have 1 - \frac 3 {x+3} = \frac{x+3 - 3}{x+3} = \frac x {x+3}.
    How did you get the 1?

ReputationRep:
    Oh it does say x-3ln(x+3), my apologies. So is the +3 basically +c? because it did the in the back that the constant is omitted.
    Well
    x + 3 - 3 ln(x+3) + c1 and
    x - 3 ln(x+3) + c2

are both valid integrals, you just have c2 = 3 + c1.

ReputationRep:
    How did you get the 1?
    d/dx(x+3) = 1

ReputationRep:
    Well
    x + 3 - 3 ln(x+3) + c1 and
    x - 3 ln(x+3) + c2

are both valid integrals, you just have c2 = 3 + c1.
    Oh so both forms are acceptable in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    How did you get the 1?
    just differentiating x+3.

As to Zacken's point about arbitrary constant, it doesn't matter if the antiderivatives differ by a constant. If we have (x+3) - 3\ln(x+3) + C_1 and x - 3\ln(x+3) + C_2, we can say C_2 = 3 + C_1, which is what Zacken meant by "absorbed".

This actually crops up a lot with logs. For example, \displaystyle \int \frac 1 {2x} \mathrm dx. You can extract \frac 1 2 and integrate it to \frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_1, but equally you can substitute u = 2x to get \frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2. These are equivalent answers, in the second antiderivative, we have \displaystyle \frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + \frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_2. So, we just have C_1 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + C_2. Note that if you differentiate both, you'll get the same answer, as the constant will differentiate to zero anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Oh so both forms are acceptable in the exam?
    Not really going to dignify that with an answer. Both forms are mathematically correct. This is why we have arbitrary constants when we integrate things, because differentiating constants go to 0 and we use the FToC to integrate things. You should focus on understanding this rather than worry about which forms are acceptable in an exam (they are both correct, so they should both be)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    just differentiating x+3.

As to Zacken's point about arbitrary constant, it doesn't matter if the antiderivatives differ by a constant. If we have (x+3) - 3\ln(x+3) + C_1 and x - 3\ln(x+3) + C_2, we can say C_2 = 3 + C_1, which is what Zacken meant by "absorbed".

This actually crops up a lot with logs. For example, \displaystyle \int \frac 1 {2x} \mathrm dx. You can extract \frac 1 2 and integrate it to \frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_1, but equally you can substitute u = 2x to get \frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2. These are equivalent answers, in the second antiderivative, we have \displaystyle \frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + \frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_2. So, we just have C_1 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + C_2. Note that if you differentiate both, you'll get the same answer, as the constant will differentiate to zero anyway.
    Thanks for this, means a lot - I'd give another rep if I could.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.