The Student Room Group

Major Help with C3 Integration question Please

Integrate: x/x+3 dx, u=x+3

so du/dx = 1 = dx/du

Subbing u into the equation:
x/u

Rearranging u for x you get u-3=x so therefore (u-3)/u du

What would the next step be? Because I tried doing (u-3)*u^-1 to get 1-3u^-1
then integrating that you get u-3lnu which is (x+3)-3ln(x+3)...

The answer at the back says (x-3)ln(x+3). Any help where I went wrong is greatly appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MrToodles4

so du/dx = 1 = dx/du

x/u

The answer at the back says (x-3)ln(x+3). Any help where I went wrong is greatly appreciated.

You're correct.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
You're correct.

Thank you so much. Are you sure? This question really did my head in.

so du/dx = 1 = dx/du

x/u

As Zacken said, you are correct. If you're ever in doubt, you can always differentiate again.
Reply 4

Yes. (well you are missing an integration constant + c)

If the answer at the back of the book is x - 3ln(x+3) + c then this is also correct, the +c absords the +3.

If the answer at the back of the book is (x-3)ln(x+3) + c as you have written then it is incorrect.

Yes, if you differentiate you have 13x+3=x+33x+3=xx+31 - \frac 3 {x+3} = \frac{x+3 - 3}{x+3} = \frac x {x+3}.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Yes. (well you are missing an integration constant + c)

If the answer at the back of the book is x - 3ln(x+3) + c then this is also correct, the +c absords the +3.

If the answer at the back of the book is (x-3)ln(x+3) + c as you have written then it is incorrect.

Oh it does say x-3ln(x+3), my apologies. So is the +3 basically +c? because it did the in the back that the constant is omitted.
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Yes, if you differentiate you have 13x+3=x+33x+3=xx+31 - \frac 3 {x+3} = \frac{x+3 - 3}{x+3} = \frac x {x+3}.

How did you get the 1?
Reply 8
Oh it does say x-3ln(x+3), my apologies. So is the +3 basically +c? because it did the in the back that the constant is omitted.

Well
x + 3 - 3 ln(x+3) + c1 and
x - 3 ln(x+3) + c2

are both valid integrals, you just have c2 = 3 + c1.
Reply 9
How did you get the 1?

d/dx(x+3) = 1
Original post by Zacken
Well
x + 3 - 3 ln(x+3) + c1 and
x - 3 ln(x+3) + c2

are both valid integrals, you just have c2 = 3 + c1.

Oh so both forms are acceptable in the exam?
How did you get the 1?

just differentiating x+3.

As to Zacken's point about arbitrary constant, it doesn't matter if the antiderivatives differ by a constant. If we have (x+3)3ln(x+3)+C1(x+3) - 3\ln(x+3) + C_1 and x3ln(x+3)+C2x - 3\ln(x+3) + C_2, we can say C2=3+C1C_2 = 3 + C_1, which is what Zacken meant by "absorbed".

This actually crops up a lot with logs. For example, 12xdx\displaystyle \int \frac 1 {2x} \mathrm dx. You can extract 12\frac 1 2 and integrate it to 12ln(x)+C1\frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_1, but equally you can substitute u=2xu = 2x to get 12ln(2x)+C2\frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2. These are equivalent answers, in the second antiderivative, we have 12ln(2x)+C2=12ln(2)+12ln(x)+C2\displaystyle \frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + \frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_2. So, we just have C1=12ln(2)+C2C_1 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + C_2. Note that if you differentiate both, you'll get the same answer, as the constant will differentiate to zero anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _gcx

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 13
Oh so both forms are acceptable in the exam?

Not really going to dignify that with an answer. Both forms are mathematically correct. This is why we have arbitrary constants when we integrate things, because differentiating constants go to 0 and we use the FToC to integrate things. You should focus on understanding this rather than worry about which forms are acceptable in an exam (they are both correct, so they should both be)
Original post by _gcx
just differentiating x+3.

As to Zacken's point about arbitrary constant, it doesn't matter if the antiderivatives differ by a constant. If we have (x+3)3ln(x+3)+C1(x+3) - 3\ln(x+3) + C_1 and x3ln(x+3)+C2x - 3\ln(x+3) + C_2, we can say C2=3+C1C_2 = 3 + C_1, which is what Zacken meant by "absorbed".

This actually crops up a lot with logs. For example, 12xdx\displaystyle \int \frac 1 {2x} \mathrm dx. You can extract 12\frac 1 2 and integrate it to 12ln(x)+C1\frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_1, but equally you can substitute u=2xu = 2x to get 12ln(2x)+C2\frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2. These are equivalent answers, in the second antiderivative, we have 12ln(2x)+C2=12ln(2)+12ln(x)+C2\displaystyle \frac 1 2 \ln(2x) + C_2 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + \frac 1 2 \ln(x) + C_2. So, we just have C1=12ln(2)+C2C_1 = \frac 1 2 \ln(2) + C_2. Note that if you differentiate both, you'll get the same answer, as the constant will differentiate to zero anyway.

Thanks for this, means a lot - I'd give another rep if I could.

Quick Reply

Latest