Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a US citizen currently teaching in the UK and obviously paying UK tax. I now have to pay tax to the USA as well apparently, which will mean that I will be taxed at higher than 50%. Can anyone help as I wont be able to afford to stay here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HD9)
    I am a US citizen currently teaching in the UK and obviously paying UK tax. I now have to pay tax to the USA as well apparently, which will mean that I will be taxed at higher than 50%. Can anyone help as I wont be able to afford to stay here.
    Don't panic!

As you know, as a US citizen (or resident) you are taxable on your worldwide income (unless you live in Puerto Rico). However, many countries have dual taxation agreements that, essentially, allow you to claim a foreign tax credit on your US federal return - the UK does. The intent is to ensure that you don't get taxed twice, although I suspect that there is some more detail to it. I never did the calculations myself - my accountant does, as learning the UK tax system was already enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Don't panic!

As you know, as a US citizen (or resident) you are taxable on your worldwide income (unless you live in Puerto Rico). However, many countries have dual taxation agreements that, essentially, allow you to claim a foreign tax credit on your US federal return - the UK does. The intent is to ensure that you don't get taxed twice, although I suspect that there is some more detail to it. I never did the calculations myself - my accountant does, as learning the UK tax system was already enough for me.
    Many thanks Roger - I was thinking that I would have to get an accountant in the first instance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the above is pretty much the case - and the UK tax rate is higher than the US tax rate so in theory you should never owe them taxes, you just need to make sure you file the correct forms. I'm still having to work out which those are for next year :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Yep, the above is pretty much the case - and the UK tax rate is higher than the US tax rate so in theory you should never owe them taxes, you just need to make sure you file the correct forms. I'm still having to work out which those are for next year :s
    That's great, thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.