Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the senior maths challenge on Tuesday. At our school normally only the further maths students take the challenge, but this year I asked if I could do it as well because I did it in years 7-10 and enjoyed it. I am now in year 13. Do you think I will be disadvantaged when taking the paper for not having studied further maths? I have done some practice papers and got quite a range of marks, but I really want to get at least a silver certificate.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. If I remember correctly it doesn't have any further maths concepts. The senior maths challenge tests how you think rather than what you know.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not! I did it last year and I'm doing it this year as well, my school enters all 6th form maths students. I don't think it requires any A level maths, just clever applications of GCSE knowledge.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffyPenguin)
    I am doing the senior maths challenge on Tuesday. At our school normally only the further maths students take the challenge, but this year I asked if I could do it as well because I did it in years 7-10 and enjoyed it. I am now in year 13. Do you think I will be disadvantaged when taking the paper for not having studied further maths? I have done some practice papers and got quite a range of marks, but I really want to get at least a silver certificate.
    Given that year 12s standardly do it 2 months into the course then I'm sure you'll be fine It may slightly disadvantage you compared to your fellow year 13s but you'll have a lot more knowledge than most of the year 12s sitting it!
    If you've done past papers then that's also really great as it gets you in the right mindset for the type of problem solving required
    You can also join in our chat about the challenge here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4976824

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocCheesecake)
    You shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. If I remember correctly it doesn't have any further maths concepts. The senior maths challenge tests how you think rather than what you know.
    Thanks, that's put me at ease a bit - I am actually kind of nervous

ReputationRep:
    na lol loads of people in my ~regular~ maths a level class got an award in senior UKMT (2015). a lot got bronze, even my dumb ass who didnt do a single UKMT challenge before that day. half a dozen got silver. we had several for gold and a couple from the further maths group went to uhhhhh the olympiad or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll do fine. I actually really enjoyed doing the UKMT. Just don't guess an answer unless you're like 95% sure. It's a very quick way to lose points.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.