Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do British people view themselves as being similar to Germans? Watch

ReputationRep:
    After living in both countries, I can safely say that the two are completely different. This is in terms of food, culture, religion and tradition. The two just can't compare. Tbh if you consider that the whole of East Germany was communist for over 50 years and that the south of Germany is deeply Catholic, the differences are inevitable. I'd associate Germany more with being 'Central European' with neighbours such as Poland, Austria and the Czech Republic. Definitely more similarities between those countries than with Germany and the UK. Italy and France have more similarities with the German culture, especially if you visit Tyrol, Alsace and Bavaria.

ReputationRep:
    No we don’t. We really don’t.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard a British person say that they are similar to Germans...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahthatonethere)
    I've never heard a British person say that they are similar to Germans...
    There are several posts on here that claim that

ReputationRep:
    we don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    There are several posts on here that claim that
    I'm not saying that nobody says it but I've just never personally heard/seen anyone making that comparison! I'm pretty sure those that say it are in the minority but I could be wrong. I personally don't see the countries/cultures as being too similar in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    British people overall don’t view themselves as being similar to Germans.

ReputationRep:
    I'm British and never thought of myself being similar to someone who is German...However my teacher in primary once told me they would like me because i have blonde hair and blue eyes but that's a different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    I'm British and never thought of myself being similar to someone who is German...However my teacher in primary once told me they would like me because i have blonde hair and blue eyes but that's a different story.
    This is another weird stereotype. Most Germans actually have brown hair and brown eyes, especially in the southern states.

ReputationRep:
    Because both are Germanic people, both speak a Germanic language and Anglos came from Germany.

ReputationRep:
    never heard anyone say this lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is the first I'm hearing of it. I personally don't view myself as similar to any other nation.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats people on here making the anglo-saxon link.

British and German culture is very different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    Because both are Germanic people, both speak a Germanic language and Anglos came from Germany.
    Yet German is considered harder for British people to learn than Spanish and French

ReputationRep:
    Yet German is considered harder for British people to learn than Spanish and French
    Because of how much English was influenced by the Romance languages with the Roman invasion.

ReputationRep:
    Because of how much English was influenced by the Romance languages with the Roman invasion.
    So surely English would associate themselves more with those countries

ReputationRep:
    So surely English would associate themselves more with those countries
    No because ethnically they're still Germanic.

ReputationRep:
    English was not spoken in the British isles until after the Romans left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    English was not spoken in the British isles until after the Romans left
    Yeahhh I should've said what evolved to become English was heavily influenced by Roman

ReputationRep:
    Yeahhh I should've said what evolved to become English was heavily influenced by Roman
    You're about 600 years out.

It was the Norman Invasion that did it. Norman French (itself derived from Latin) became the language of the ruling class, the Germanic English language spoken by the rest of the population was heavily influenced by it thereafter.

There's an indirect link to the Romans via this and also Latin (that was used by the Church until the reformation) which also had an influence in its own right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.