Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do British people view themselves as being similar to Germans? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    No because ethnically they're still Germanic.

I don't know what exactly is meant by ethnically but I guarantee genetically at least present day Britain is more similar to pre-dark age Britain than it is to present day Germany, as the number of migrants who came over to Britain during the Germanic migrations was miniscule compared to the pre-existing population.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard anyone in Britain say that.

The only thing Brits seem to be mistaken about is that Germany cares about Britain, in particular in football. They regard us as the main rival, whereas we would consider the Netherlands or even Italy, who we only for the first time in 2014 beat in a competition.

ReputationRep:
    We're cousins.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well the two main connections are Protestantism and the fact that both languages are West Germanic; if you're familiar with the Lewis model, the two countries are also placed similarly there. However, Anglosphere countries are more similar to each other than any continental European country is similar to the UK, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I have never heard anyone in Britain say that.

The only thing Brits seem to be mistaken about is that Germany cares about Britain, in particular in football. They regard us as the main rival, whereas we would consider the Netherlands or even Italy, who we only for the first time in 2014 beat in a competition.
    I've heard the opposite, that Germany consider Netherlands they're main rivals

Edit: unless you're German and meant what I said anyway oops

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Germany doesn't even think about the Dutch.
    It's the French - British - German rivalry.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard British people considering themselves as similar to Germans, because they're definitely not. The only particularly convincing links I can think of is that English is classified as a Germanic language, and the Royal Family is a branch of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, a German family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am German and did say what you just said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwalk)
    If you are German this statement is weird af, if you are British it just proves the misconceptions Brits have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    After living in both countries, I can safely say that the two are completely different. This is in terms of food, culture, religion and tradition. The two just can't compare. Tbh if you consider that the whole of East Germany was communist for over 50 years and that the south of Germany is deeply Catholic, the differences are inevitable. I'd associate Germany more with being 'Central European' with neighbours such as Poland, Austria and the Czech Republic. Definitely more similarities between those countries than with Germany and the UK. Italy and France have more similarities with the German culture, especially if you visit Tyrol, Alsace and Bavaria.
    I'd be interested to hear examples of this? I don't think I've ever heard a Brit say anything of the sort.

(Not including neo-Nazi fruitcakes)

ReputationRep:
    Because they like to drink beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    If you are German this statement is weird af, if you are British it just proves the misconceptions Brits have.
    I'm talking about a geopolitical viewpoint. The Netherlands is just a German vassal state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwalk)
    Granted I've spoken to few Germans about it. Wikipedia goes into detail about it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engl...blic_reactions

Edit: I saw ur other post, I thought you were on about football sorry
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Didn’t realise we did 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwalk)
    I'm talking about a geopolitical viewpoint. The Netherlands is just a German vassal state.
    I see. But so far we have been speaking about generally being similar, and football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    After living in both countries, I can safely say that the two are completely different. This is in terms of food, culture, religion and tradition. The two just can't compare. Tbh if you consider that the whole of East Germany was communist for over 50 years and that the south of Germany is deeply Catholic, the differences are inevitable. I'd associate Germany more with being 'Central European' with neighbours such as Poland, Austria and the Czech Republic. Definitely more similarities between those countries than with Germany and the UK. Italy and France have more similarities with the German culture, especially if you visit Tyrol, Alsace and Bavaria.
    How did you come to this conclusion? (the question you ask)

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I've never heard British people considering themselves as similar to Germans, because they're definitely not. The only particularly convincing links I can think of is that English is classified as a Germanic language, and the Royal Family is a branch of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, a German family.
    Apart from Danes, Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Normans (who were the descends of Scandinavians aristocrats) all being Germanic peoples

ReputationRep:
    Both are very diverse countries... their own people are so very different from one another.

All I can say is that in Hamburg, the people reminded me very much of the people here in England... in terms of how they lived and what they did day to day. The main difference is that the Germans are more religious than the British.

Both cultures love to go on holiday to *****y islands in the Med, complain about rent, car insurance and weather, and both peoples enjoy alcohol and football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    How did you come to this conclusion? (the question you ask)

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just seen several posts on TSR about how similar the UK and Germany is, but I don't find them similar in any way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Apart from Danes, Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Normans (who were the descends of Scandinavians aristocrats) all being Germanic peoples
    Around 40% of Germans have Eastern European ancestry and Germans and the British have actually very different ancestry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.