Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could u please give me some tips and advice please could appreciate It.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing biology in Year 13 now but last year I got AAAA at AS Level.

I revise by using flashcards and past papers mainly.

Flashcards are great for memorising facts and definitions. There's two main ways people use them: Write an exam question on the front and the markscheme on the back OR making their own little fact check questions with answers on the back e.g. "What sugar is in DNA?" then on the back "Deoxyribose sugar". I personally use the second type.

Past paper questions are the best thing you could probably do. I do AQA biology and my spec is very specific about what it needs to get a mark. The best way to get used to what they want in an answer is to do past questions and mark them yourself using the mark scheme.

I found that going to my local library with a mate was also really helpful in revision as there's much less distractions than at home. We go every Tuesday and Sunday and it helps out so much!

Mindmaps were also really helpful in making concise notes on each topic. I would allow myself one A4 page to put all of the key details on to make sure I was only getting what I needed down and no extra waffle. Download the specification off the website of your exam board to help you understand what you need to know. You can also use this as a kind of checklist of what you know and don't, colour coding green for confident, orange for a little more revision and red for need to revise now!

Hope I've helped and if you have any more questions just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahthatonethere)

Flashcards are great for memorising facts and definitions. There's two main ways people use them: Write an exam question on the front and the markscheme on the back OR making their own little fact check questions with answers on the back e.g. "What sugar is in DNA?" then on the back "Deoxyribose sugar". I personally use the second type.

Past paper questions are the best thing you could probably do. I do AQA biology and my spec is very specific about what it needs to get a mark. The best way to get used to what they want in an answer is to do past questions and mark them yourself using the mark scheme.

I found that going to my local library with a mate was also really helpful in revision as there's much less distractions than at home. We go every Tuesday and Sunday and it helps out so much!

Mindmaps were also really helpful in making concise notes on each topic. I would allow myself one A4 page to put all of the key details on to make sure I was only getting what I needed down and no extra waffle. Download the specification off the website of your exam board to help you understand what you need to know. You can also use this as a kind of checklist of what you know and don't, colour coding green for confident, orange for a little more revision and red for need to revise now!

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:

Are you aiming for an A*? Are you doing the new spec? If so, how do you use the past papers? Find it difficult to find papers on the relevant content I am studying at a certain time if you get what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by new1234)
    Are you aiming for an A*? Are you doing the new spec? If so, how do you use the past papers? Find it difficult to find papers on the relevant content I am studying at a certain time if you get what I mean.
    Same. We’re using OCR spec 2015 for Biology. D:

ReputationRep:
    (I don't know if I mentioned but I'm on AQA Biology btw)

Personally, yes I am aiming for an A* but I'd be beyond happy with an A (which is what my teacher has predicted me)! And yes I am also on the new spec which makes everything just that much harder.

The past papers aren't actually all that different from our spec. There are some new things that have been added in (like the phosphorus cycle for example) and old things that have been taken out but they are generally very similar and it's practice nonetheless. If anything it helps you get exam technique down. If you're looking for questions by topic, http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ is great (despite their name they do biology and chemistry stuff too) however there are a lot of old questions that we don't cover anymore so you'll have to pick and choose what is actually on your spec. As for old papers I don't believe they're on the website anymore so you can find them here https://freeexampapers.com/index.php...el/Biology/AQA if you prefer to do them by paper and not topic. It's annoying that there's almost no papers for us but doing these questions is necessary practice anyway! Just answer the best you can and mark them yourself and it really helps with understanding what they want in each kind of question as the markschemes can be quite picky.

Hope I've managed to help out and anymore questions, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what others have said - make flash cards and use past papers.

I make my flash cards on Brainscape so they’re online and I can access them anywhere. You can also add photos etc which is really useful. I downloaded the spec too and use that as well as my textbook (I do Salters-Nuffield and I use the Advanced Biology for You revision guide as well).

Fortunately there are quite a few past papers for my spec and the old ones aren’t too different. For stuff that’s not in the new spec I use last papers from other exam boards to make sure I cover everything.

(Also I’m in year 13 too and I got an A in my AS :3 )

ReputationRep:
    (I don't know if I mentioned but I'm on AQA Biology btw)

Personally, yes I am aiming for an A* but I'd be beyond happy with an A (which is what my teacher has predicted me)! And yes I am also on the new spec which makes everything just that much harder.

The past papers aren't actually all that different from our spec. There are some new things that have been added in (like the phosphorus cycle for example) and old things that have been taken out but they are generally very similar and it's practice nonetheless. If anything it helps you get exam technique down. If you're looking for questions by topic, http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ is great (despite their name they do biology and chemistry stuff too) however there are a lot of old questions that we don't cover anymore so you'll have to pick and choose what is actually on your spec. As for old papers I don't believe they're on the website anymore so you can find them here https://freeexampapers.com/index.php...el/Biology/AQA if you prefer to do them by paper and not topic. It's annoying that there's almost no papers for us but doing these questions is necessary practice anyway! Just answer the best you can and mark them yourself and it really helps with understanding what they want in each kind of question as the markschemes can be quite picky.

Hope I've managed to help out and anymore questions, feel free to ask!
    Yeah I'm doing AQA too.

Ahh okay, thanks for your help!
    Speaking of the phosphorus cycle, I see it mentioned onn the spec but it doesn't say we need to know it in detail like the nitrogen cycle, so how much do we really need to know?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm doing AQA too.

Ahh okay, thanks for your help!
    Speaking of the phosphorus cycle, I see it mentioned onn the spec but it doesn't say we need to know it in detail like the nitrogen cycle, so how much do we really need to know?
    My teacher says we don't need to know much about it and definitely in no where near enough detail as the nitrogen cycle! There hasn't been any questions on it in the papers so it's really not a big bit. We've just been told to know the names of the processes and that's about it tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.