Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am looking to apply fairly soon for a PGCE in secondary Biology, probably looking at university of Nottingham or Birmingham as my top choices. I wanted to ask how important you felt recent experience in a school is for getting onto the course?

I have only recently fully decided that I wanted to pursue teaching after a few years of indecision so it hasn't been at the top of my priority list really to be looking for experience. I am planning on getting some relevant experience if I can, but it is unlikely that I'll get some before I want to send off the application.

I do have experience in a teaching environment as I have shadowed teachers whilst at sixth form and I also worked in a language learning summer camp with children of secondary school age, so I'm not worried about my capacity to deal with children that age.

I just want to know what people's thoughts and experiences are on this, particularly people who have interviewed/are currently studying for a PGCE in biology or the sciences

ReputationRep:
    When I applied I was able to get a mentor who took me through the process. She advised I had at least three days of recent school experience that I could use to reflect on as part of my personal statement. The rest is now history.

Good luck!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.