Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When investigating Boyle's Law P proportional to 1/V. It is advised to change the pressure (e.g. using a foot pump) slowly in order that temperature is not affected.

I understand that temperature is related to temeprature by the ideal gas equation: pV = nRT however, why would a slow increase in pressure not affect the temperature opposed to a fast increase. Or is it that any increase in the thermal energy can be quickly transferred to the surroundings so it is negligible if you slowly increase the pressure?
    Regards, Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splitter2017)
    When investigating Boyle's Law P proportional to 1/V. It is advised to change the pressure (e.g. using a foot pump) slowly in order that temperature is not affected.

I understand that temperature is related to temeprature by the ideal gas equation: pV = nRT however, why would a slow increase in pressure not affect the temperature opposed to a fast increase. Or is it that any increase in the thermal energy can be quickly transferred to the surroundings so it is negligible if you slowly increase the pressure?
    Regards, Adam
    My guess would be that your reducing the volume to increase pressure making it so that overall your value for 'PV' remains the same and hence 'nRT' stay the same also. This would mean temperature would remain constant.

But then again, this is just an educated guess Hope this helped anyways :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.