Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it 'difficult' to define probability? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A couple of weeks ago, we looked at Kolmogorov's axioms for probability as the definition of the probability function. But Kolmogorov's axioms only really describe the properties \mathbb{P}(A) should have and don't go into much detail as to what \mathbb{P}(A) is. And the lecture notes also mention that the question of what probability is doesn't really have a satisfactory answer. So why exactly is this the case? Can't we just say something like probability is the likelihood of an event happening or something like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    A couple of weeks ago, we looked at Kolmogorov's axioms for probability as the definition of the probability function. But Kolmogorov's axioms only really describe the properties \mathbb{P}(A) should have and don't go into much detail as to what \mathbb{P}(A) is. And the lecture notes also mention that the question of what probability is doesn't really have a satisfactory answer. So why exactly is this the case? Can't we just say something like probability is the likelihood of an event happening or something like this?
    What do you mean the likelihood of an event occurring though? What does it mean to say that there is a 60% chance that A will occur for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    What do you mean the likelihood of an event occurring though? What does it mean to say that there is a 60% chance that A will occur for example.
    Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if it was the right train of thought. Although I guess you could say that you would expect 60% of n outcomes should be approx A given a large n.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if it was the right train of thought. Although I guess you could say that you would expect 60% of n outcomes should be approx A given a large n.
    Yeah that's one interpretation of probability. There are others.

Coz probability doesn't exist

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by B_9710)
      Yeah that's one interpretation of probability. There are others.
      My point is that what I said is a rather simple explanation of what probability is, so why did the notes say the question of what probability is doesn't have a wholly satisfactory answer? Is there some nuance to this that I'm missing?
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.