Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As a marker/bookmark/tracker Do you do it? Or do you prefer to use a book mark/remember which page no. you got to?

I always have done, even for first edition books, but even that's a regret now for books like harry potter which are falling apart now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I always dog-ear the pages. So many bookmarks of mine fall out and I lose the page, This way is much easier. My friend on the other hand won't even break the spine of a book!

ReputationRep:
    If it's novels: Hell no, too cringey
    If it's textbooks: Pleaseee. I hate textbooks anyway :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I do use bookmarks (usually just whatever scrap of paper I find closest to hand rather than a proper bookmark, though). But I'm okay with people bending pages, and I especially don't think there's anything wrong with breaking spines! Although rows of pristine books look lovely in bookshops, I think there's something kind of sad about a bookshelf in someone's house where the books are so neat it doesn't look like they've ever been opened. I prefer it when they look a bit battered and well-loved.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I always dog-ear the pages. So many bookmarks of mine fall out and I lose the page, This way is much easier. My friend on the other hand won't even break the spine of a book!
    Ikr, its so annoying when bookmarks fall out. But on some books the spine just... breaks.

(Original post by Hamoody)
    If it's novels: Hell no, too cringey
    If it's textbooks: Pleaseee. I hate textbooks anyway :lol:
    Screw textbooks, but why would folding the novels be cringey? or would it depend on the book in question

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    I do use bookmarks (usually just whatever scrap of paper I find closest to hand rather than a proper bookmark, though). But I'm okay with people bending pages, and I especially don't think there's anything wrong with breaking spines! Although rows of pristine books look lovely in bookshops, I think there's something kind of sad about a bookshelf in someone's house where the books are so neat it doesn't look like they've ever been opened. I prefer it when they look a bit battered and well-loved.
    yep, I've used the scrap paper method befoe :yes:
    Library books seem to have the most broken in spines, especially the paperbacks - makes it easier to holding the book easier.
    Or if they're not broken in it might mean the owner hasn't gotten around to reading them yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronoscope)
    yep, I've used the scrap paper method befoe :yes:
    Library books seem to have the most broken in spines, especially the paperbacks - makes it easier to holding the book easier.
    Or if they're not broken in it might mean the owner hasn't gotten around to reading them yet
    Exactly - the odd unread-looking book on a shelf isn't so bad, but rows and rows of them make me think the person just likes hoarding books but not reading them. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I use a large paperclip.

ReputationRep:
    I always fold the corner
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.