Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Folding a corner of a book. watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As a marker/bookmark/tracker Do you do it? Or do you prefer to use a book mark/remember which page no. you got to?

I always have done, even for first edition books, but even that's a regret now for books like harry potter which are falling apart now anyway.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I always dog-ear the pages. So many bookmarks of mine fall out and I lose the page, This way is much easier. My friend on the other hand won't even break the spine of a book!

ReputationRep:
    If it's novels: Hell no, too cringey
    If it's textbooks: Pleaseee. I hate textbooks anyway :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I do use bookmarks (usually just whatever scrap of paper I find closest to hand rather than a proper bookmark, though). But I'm okay with people bending pages, and I especially don't think there's anything wrong with breaking spines! Although rows of pristine books look lovely in bookshops, I think there's something kind of sad about a bookshelf in someone's house where the books are so neat it doesn't look like they've ever been opened. I prefer it when they look a bit battered and well-loved.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I always dog-ear the pages. So many bookmarks of mine fall out and I lose the page, This way is much easier. My friend on the other hand won't even break the spine of a book!
    Ikr, its so annoying when bookmarks fall out. But on some books the spine just... breaks.

(Original post by Hamoody)
    If it's novels: Hell no, too cringey
    If it's textbooks: Pleaseee. I hate textbooks anyway :lol:
    Screw textbooks, but why would folding the novels be cringey? or would it depend on the book in question

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    I do use bookmarks (usually just whatever scrap of paper I find closest to hand rather than a proper bookmark, though). But I'm okay with people bending pages, and I especially don't think there's anything wrong with breaking spines! Although rows of pristine books look lovely in bookshops, I think there's something kind of sad about a bookshelf in someone's house where the books are so neat it doesn't look like they've ever been opened. I prefer it when they look a bit battered and well-loved.
    yep, I've used the scrap paper method befoe :yes:
    Library books seem to have the most broken in spines, especially the paperbacks - makes it easier to holding the book easier.
    Or if they're not broken in it might mean the owner hasn't gotten around to reading them yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronoscope)
    yep, I've used the scrap paper method befoe :yes:
    Library books seem to have the most broken in spines, especially the paperbacks - makes it easier to holding the book easier.
    Or if they're not broken in it might mean the owner hasn't gotten around to reading them yet
    Exactly - the odd unread-looking book on a shelf isn't so bad, but rows and rows of them make me think the person just likes hoarding books but not reading them. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I use a large paperclip.

ReputationRep:
    I always fold the corner
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.