Turn on thread page Beta

Advice for entering Philosophy graduate programs from a different BA discipline watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    * calling on advice from philosophy graduate students! * please help <3

So I’m a graduate of Fine Art in fact, graduated from Chelsea College of Arts in 2015 with a high 1st and top marks in my thesis which was a hybrid of critical theory/ media theory with a fair bit of philosophy even though I wasn’t particularly aware of or reading a great deal of philosophy at the time. I was always a bit of a black sheep at art school to say the least and should really have gone into academia from the beginning. My grades at A level were A*AA in art, physics and maths respectively. Anyway, since graduating I’ve now since decided that I want to go back into academia proper, and study Philosophy.
    The question is, will I be a strong enough candidate for Philosophy graduate programs or will my lack of a properly rigorous academic BA and a thorough grounding in the history of philosophy make it very difficult for me to keep up pace if I enter at graduate level? I am hella competitive and naturally driven and I would ideally want to progress onto a PhD program at a strong university in order to give myself the best kick start into a career in research/ academia.

My main interest areas are philosophy or language, epistemology and moral philosophy, and I’m currently considering the MA (and BA) programs at kings and UCL. My main Q is whether people think I need to go back to BA or whether entry at MA is feasible.

Big long messy question here I’m afraid. ! First time posting on here so would appreciate anyone taking any time to reply to this with any advice you might have! All the very best.

Faron
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I believe there are some more "conversion" style Master's courses around - I think Edinburgh or Glasgow (or maybe Dundee...somewhere in Scotland) had one such course, in the past. There may also be some "pre-masters" PGDip/Cert programmes which allow you to "convert" to Philosophy - these aren't uncommon for Economics and Mathematics, but Philosophy is perhaps less popular for such purposes...

Beyond that you can still read the relevant texts, and reflect upon them and form your own analysis of them. This would allow you to demonstrate some philosophical background in an interview if you get called for one...

You could also look at some MOOCs in Philosophy, or OU modules in the same, to get some formal background.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.