Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a table of the shapes and angles of most molecules, with the steric no. and no. of lone pairs. I cannot for the life of me understand how to predict bond shapes and angles with molecules that seem to have more than one central atom (?) like at the moment I'm trying to figure out NH2OH - but I can't figure out which atom is the central atom, and even if I do figure that out I'm not sure where to go from there. if it's O, then what about the 2 H on N and N's lone pair, and if it's N, what part does the H bonded to O and O's 2 lone pairs play in the shape of the molecule?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_turner)
    I've got a table of the shapes and angles of most molecules, with the steric no. and no. of lone pairs. I cannot for the life of me understand how to predict bond shapes and angles with molecules that seem to have more than one central atom (?) like at the moment I'm trying to figure out NH2OH - but I can't figure out which atom is the central atom, and even if I do figure that out I'm not sure where to go from there. if it's O, then what about the 2 H on N and N's lone pair, and if it's N, what part does the H bonded to O and O's 2 lone pairs play in the shape of the molecule?
    The shape is a function of the lone pairs on the central atom only.

Which atom is the central one? It's usually fairly obvious as only one atom can bond to all of the others. For example NH2OH. Only nitrogen can form more than 3 bonds. Hydrogen can only form 1 bond and oxygen usually 2 (at a push with dative coordination, 3). Nitrogen usually 3 bonds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.