Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's no set number of hours. The goal of studying is to understand the topics so it depends on how long that takes. It'll vary person to person, topic to topic. I know that that's not the most helpful answer.

That being said 8 hours a day seems like to much... I would be burned out in less than 2 weeks if I tried to do that. I'd only do 8 hours a day during the revision period.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentletshope)
    Thanks for the reply ☺️ So are you in first year because what they do say is that 1st year does not seem that hard but 2nd requires 8 hours of study and I'm so confused because I'm sending the applications and I've put three hard universities and only two safe
    Tbh I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I'm in 1st year but I'm studying music composition which involves a lot of composing and not that much learning. Well... not much compared to other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentletshope)
    Hello!! I am a potential student of the university of York for next year and many people say to me that it needs 8 hours of studying per day..How many hours does a student really need to study per day at the university of York to get a relatively good grade on their degree ? I'm interested in English and psychology but I'm not sure yet.. so if anyone could help I'd appreciate that a lot ☺️🙂😇 Thanks 🙏
    It's not quite that straightforward (I'm at York, studying Politics). Some days will be heavier than others, depending on your timetable, but overall a degree takes, apparently, about 40 hours per week. How you spread that out is largely up to you - for example, I do half a day of school volunteering each week, which means I do less work on Fridays but more on the weekends. But it isn't a matter of just getting 40 or whatever hours done, it's working till the work is complete. You'll spend less time on modules you like and find easy, but spend more time on modules you find hard, and so on. Everyone manages it so you really shouldn't worry.

First year felt like hard work at the time - uni is quite a change from A levels! - but it wasn't too many hours. I'm in second year now and it's a big step up for the workload (significantly more reading with less teaching and more independent work, mainly), and I know some third years, who say that it only gets worse. But it's transitionary, first year doesn't count and again, everyone goes through the same process.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.