Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    So I’m in the first year of my A-Levels but I’m thinking ahead, I’d like to do either an apprenticeship in computer science at degree level or go to uni and do a computer science degree, but I don’t know what I should look for in an apprenticeship or where to start looking and if an apprenticeship would be better than going to uni or not? Anyone have any tips or advice?
    Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Or, look for a sponsored apprenticeship and do both
    https://more.capgemini.com/uk/career...h/apprentices/
    There are many other companies that offer this.

I also wanted to know, what are your specialities in computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Or, look for a sponsored apprenticeship and do both
    https://more.capgemini.com/uk/career...h/apprentices/
    There are many other companies that offer this.

I also wanted to know, what are your specialities in computing?
    Thanks for that link! I’m mainly looking at programming or maybe cyber security/ forensic computing is a possibility
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Rleggett12)
    Hi all,
    So I’m in the first year of my A-Levels but I’m thinking ahead, I’d like to do either an apprenticeship in computer science at degree level or go to uni and do a computer science degree, but I don’t know what I should look for in an apprenticeship or where to start looking and if an apprenticeship would be better than going to uni or not? Anyone have any tips or advice?
    Thanks,
    (Original post by Rleggett12)
    Thanks for that link! I’m mainly looking at programming or maybe cyber security/ forensic computing is a possibility
    In that case you may be interested in the GCHQ Degree Apprenticeship scheme - to give you an insight, one of our current apprentices has had an article published recently in the Yorkshire Post - see https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...need-1-8838603

That tells you about the scheme although you should note that it is changing slightly. We'll now be offering a Degree (not Higher) Apprenticeship, leading to a BSc Honours degree. This means that the programme will now run for three years not two, and many of the other great things (good pay, high-quality training, work placements, the range of roles, visits to our other sites etc.) will remain.

Our careers page at https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/early...ticeships.html also has some information. We are looking for interest, potential and aptitude, not experts or the 'finished article'.

If you choose a university route, you may be interested in the CyberFirst bursary scheme. This offers a bursary of £4,000 per annum for each year of study (up to £16,000 if completing a Master’s Degree), and two paid summer work activities at £250 per week (plus a contribution towards living accommodation or travel costs; summer placements are normally 8 weeks @ £250 per week). There's more details on the web page, but don't feel pressured - you normally apply in the September/October of year 13.

Whilst we can't offer direct advice on the 'apprenticeship vs. uni' question, there's hopefully other threads on here which cover that. Some key factors to consider are the subjects you would cover as part of your apprenticeship and on a given university course, and also the method of delivery - apprenticeships are work & employer-based, which some people prefer, but others miss the traditional 'life on campus' approach. The GCHQ scheme has a large number of apprentices, so you do get some of that community spirit - you aren't the only person on the scheme by any means. Location is also important - in which area of the country would you prefer to spend most of your time for the next three years?

We hope this helps, but you can also contact the team via [email protected], with any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The National Cyber Security Centre)
    In that case you may be interested in the GCHQ Degree Apprenticeship scheme - to give you an insight, one of our current apprentices has had an article published recently in the Yorkshire Post - see https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...need-1-8838603

That tells you about the scheme although you should note that it is changing slightly. We'll now be offering a Degree (not Higher) Apprenticeship, leading to a BSc Honours degree. This means that the programme will now run for three years not two, and many of the other great things (good pay, high-quality training, work placements, the range of roles, visits to our other sites etc.) will remain.

Our careers page at https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/early...ticeships.html also has some information. We are looking for interest, potential and aptitude, not experts or the 'finished article'.

If you choose a university route, you may be interested in the CyberFirst bursary scheme. This offers a bursary of £4,000 per annum for each year of study (up to £16,000 if completing a Master’s Degree), and two paid summer work activities at £250 per week (plus a contribution towards living accommodation or travel costs; summer placements are normally 8 weeks @ £250 per week). There's more details on the web page, but don't feel pressured - you normally apply in the September/October of year 13.

Whilst we can't offer direct advice on the 'apprenticeship vs. uni' question, there's hopefully other threads on here which cover that. Some key factors to consider are the subjects you would cover as part of your apprenticeship and on a given university course, and also the method of delivery - apprenticeships are work & employer-based, which some people prefer, but others miss the traditional 'life on campus' approach. The GCHQ scheme has a large number of apprentices, so you do get some of that community spirit - you aren't the only person on the scheme by any means. Location is also important - in which area of the country would you prefer to spend most of your time for the next three years?

We hope this helps, but you can also contact the team via [email protected], with any questions.

Thank you so much for all the useful links and detailed response! I will have a look through

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.