Turn on thread page Beta

4 week waiting list for driving LESSON? (Bath) watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you read that right, the driving LESSON, not the test. I am in Bath and I want to learn to drive but the waiting list is ridiculously long.

I have tried LDC and Red and they both quote 4 week waiting times. AA doesn't even operate here.
    Are four week waiting times normal? Does anyone know of a school/instructor who is available at shorter notice than this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can you search for independent instructors? I learnt with ClickDrive but I don't know if they operate that far out. I waited about 2 weeks for a lesson, but only because the instructor I chose was going on holiday when I rang him.

ReputationRep:
    I had wait 4 weeks for my old driving instructor to start my lessons. So yeah it’s normal. Always ahead
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks is that it? I contacted driving instructors back in September who said they had a 10 week waiting list and others said not until the start of December. Luckily I then found a driving instructor who didn't have a waiting list and I started 2 weeks later.

ReputationRep:
    I live and drive around Bath, and only very rarely see learner cars associated with the handful of big driving schools. Having said that I do see lots of independent driving instructors on the roads around here, so I think for Bath your best bet is looking into independent driving instructors if you want to start sooner.

ReputationRep:
    Look for some smaller local driving schools or independent instructors. They'll likely have more availability and potentially better rates/offers too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Binsanite Kekuit)
    Yes, you read that right, the driving LESSON, not the test. I am in Bath and I want to learn to drive but the waiting list is ridiculously long.

I have tried LDC and Red and they both quote 4 week waiting times. AA doesn't even operate here.
    Are four week waiting times normal? Does anyone know of a school/instructor who is available at shorter notice than this?
    LDC and RED are both nationwide schools, which makes them rather popular (and booked to the rafters). Also, I don't even think LDC employ that many instructors per area (and they're ludicrously expensive compared to other schools, anyway).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Learning to drive.

ReputationRep:
    Could it be because the test is about to change too? So most people who are test-ready (or near enough) will be trying to cram as many lessons in as possible with their instructors to make sure they pass before the new test kicks in.. I have a friend who was ringing round for a driving instructor and both nationwide and independent driving schools were booked up until December (which is when the test changes).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.