Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all

    Applying for a PhD starting next year in International Relations, and honestly i'm very confused about funding (as i'm sure we all are!) but there's one particular question I can't seem to get a clear answer to.

    I'm a UK citizen (Wales born & raised, lived in England for uni) so that's fine in terms of being a home student. Now, a problem appears when lots of funding options state that applicant must be "..resident for the last three years in the UK." Now although I was in the UK for the last year because I was doing my MA degree, I spent the previous two years living in Taiwan. One of those years was studying, and the one after that working. During this time I visited the UK numerous times, maintained British bank account etc, but I was in Taiwan.

    Do you think this makes me ineligible for funding? I've contacted several departments, some say yes, some say no, some have no idea. I'm very invested in the idea of a PhD but if I have no chance of obtaining funding then i'm just wasting everyone's time, myself included as there's no way I would fully find myself.

    Has anyone else been in a similar situation as this? How has it worked out for you?

    Thank you for any help!

    It depends on funding type, and what you have been doing whilst in Taiwan.

    Working, and with what sort of visa? The point is you were not resident/paying tax in the UK.
    If you had just been travelling then that doesn't count as 'absence'.
    • Thread Starter

    In terms of funding, I was looking at bodies such as the ESRC. Also some uni's state that their scholarships follow the eligibility criteria set by AHRC

    The year of work was under a work visa (although it isn't in my passport as I was given an identity card). However, the year of study was just multiple tourist visa's

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.