The Student Room Group

Mature student wants to go into medicine without a levels

Hi guys

Not sure if anyone can help me but I’m a 25 year old student that would like to join the Medicine course in Leicester uni. Only problem is I do not hold any a levels and have only got an nvq level 2 in beauty therapy and a btec in art and design which is not even going to get me through the course and I have decided to have a career change

Can anyone please help me on how I can attain these a levels etc I wanna apply next year but unsure how this is going to be possible as it is now October and I need to get my grades by next year.

Thank you very much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have looked at the foundation year and they would like a levels in chemistry or biology

To be fair, after working since I left college I realised that this was not the path for me. I have always been interested in Medicine, but never had the mindset and determination in order to pursue it until now!
I'd recommend considering an Access to Medicine course in the first instance - it's one year as opposed to two and covers all the relevant material. The only thing is to ensure that the specific Access course you're looking at is acceptable for the medicine courses you intend to apply to - most Medicine courses only accept a limited number of access courses.
As above re. Access course. Plus you will possibly need GCSE English and Maths which you can take alongside Access. Check the entry requirements with Unis before you apply.

You will need to pack in some serious medicine work experience over this summer - and take BMAT and/or UKCAT aptitude tests, Med applications have to be at UCAS by 14 October (for start the following autumn) and you need to be able to talk about this in your Personal Statement.

Lots of info/advice about applying to Medicine here :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Reply 4
Thanks - I’ve had a look at the link you’ve sent. In regards to the access course I’ve found this on the Leicester Uni website:

“Please note that we will NOT consider the Access to Medicine course in lieu of A levels, or poor previous A level performance in either undergraduate or graduate candidates, unless there are significant mitigating circumstances.”

Does this mean that the access course will not help Me in my application as I do not have an A-level or it’s equivalent? Is there any other route as a non-traditional applicant?

I think what attracts me is the amount of learning I’ll undertake on the course! And then using knowledge to diagnose and treat patients. There’s so much to learn about the human body and the things that can go wrong with it. It’s a hard and thankless job, but rewarding. Honestly I haven’t thought to put my motivations into words as of yet.

Bristol, and many other Unis, WILL accept Access to Medicine courses.
Reply 6
Yes I’m dead set on leicester for sure as I live in Leicester and have a job here and can’t really afford going into another city if that makes sense!

My only concern is without foundation year, uni of Leicester wants all B’s in English math and sciences which I have all C’s in and I wouldn’t be able to just do the access course and use my GCSE’s as entry requirements for medicine without foundation year.
I think there are only two viable options in this case:

1) Do an Access to Medicine course and sacrifice attending Leicester

2) Complete the relevant A-levels and apply for Medicine for 2019/2020 entry.

The latter is the best course in my opinion: Medicine doesn't only demand specific grades, you also have to undergo work experience in healthcare environments to showcase your commitment as well as show involvement in other areas (such as volunteering) to highlight how 'well-rounded' you are. Giving yourself 2 years will allow you to meet the traditional entry requirements and obtain a good amount of experience to ensure a competitive application. Also remember, that Leicester requires applicants to complete the UKCAT, and this time frame will give you time to prepare for it.

I studied Medicine myself for a while until I dropped out, and the application process was incredibly competitive and stressful, to say the least! It requires an incredible amount of commitment, and I think giving yourself 2 years to obtain the grades you need and to showcase your commitment to this career change through work experience and volunteering, will help you significantly.
Reply 8
Thank you for this!

I definitely do want to apply in Leicester as in the longrun it would be easier as I live here etc

However because It is now November and I’ve passed the college enrolment date, doing my a levels would be impossible this year unless i do it privately, and doing a levels through a college would take me another two years so I’ll be able to get into university in 2020.

In terms of doing the access to medicine I have looked at the website and they would accept it if I did the course in a certain area such as Manchester which would be another problem

Original post by Nucleolus
I think there are only two viable options in this case:

1) Do an Access to Medicine course and sacrifice attending Leicester

2) Complete the relevant A-levels and apply for Medicine for 2019/2020 entry.

The latter is the best course in my opinion: Medicine doesn't only demand specific grades, you also have to undergo work experience in healthcare environments to showcase your commitment as well as show involvement in other areas (such as volunteering) to highlight how 'well-rounded' you are. Giving yourself 2 years will allow you to meet the traditional entry requirements and obtain a good amount of experience to ensure a competitive application. Also remember, that Leicester requires applicants to complete the UKCAT, and this time frame will give you time to prepare for it.

I studied Medicine myself for a while until I dropped out, and the application process was incredibly competitive and stressful, to say the least! It requires an incredible amount of commitment, and I think giving yourself 2 years to obtain the grades you need and to showcase your commitment to this career change through work experience and volunteering, will help you significantly.
Reply 9
Hi I definitely will be able to get part time hours and would definitely be able to study and prioritise my dreams and education more.

I did email one or the dr admissions tutor and all I’ve been told is to check the entry requirements but I will be calling the university up and explain my situation and see if there would be any more options but I doubt it as Medicine in University of Leicester is very competitive and I’m pretty sure the students would have high qualifications and I probably wouldn’t wouldn’t stand a chance against them. So to avoid disappointment my best option is to maximise my grades and get into a relevant work experience
Definitely understand. I will most likely have to apply for more university’s around me such as cov etc. i gained a C in science, English and maths.

I also gained a B in additional science but I’m not sure if that’s even considered a GCSE? I did ask the tutor if that’s even considered one but he wasn’t very informative and just said to check the entry requirements so I’m kind of stuck.
My main concern would be a) as I went straight into a btec in art and design they would question why I didn’t take my a levels which would be problem number one.

B) the access to medicine courses are not located in Leicester either and I believe only some of the major cities do this course.

I haven’t mentioned my English c in Gcse and to be quite honest I didn’t get a very informative answer and was told twice to have a look at the entry requirements.

I have explained I’m a mature student and what other possible pathways I could take to meet these entry requirements but I think I may have to call and ask to speak to someone who would be able to help me with this. But I also know that being a mature student my application and grades would have to be superior just like every other applicant as they would not be lenient towards me because of my age, even though at this stage of my life I don’t have time to mess around with choosing a degree like medicine!
I am currently only working two days a week so studying shouldn’t be a problem.

May I ask why an English grade C would have to be retaken? As on the website for foundation year they have mentioned a C in all the academic subjects should be fine, and the minimum would be a BBB in a levels. Of course I would try an exceed my a levels as much as I can to an AAA.
This makes sense! I am going to enquire about the A levels with a few colleges and whether they are willing to let on a mature student. I will also give the University a call and try and speak to someone from the Medicine board based on requirements and making sure I won't miss any.

Thank you for being super informative! it has helped me a tonne! I will definitely keep you updated on how this goes :smile: May I also ask whether you are a former Medical student? :smile:
Haha omg that is great!! Due to the replies from you I was curious so I thought I'd ask.
I will definitely ask if I need anymore info :smile: Just waiting to get in to University if I'm quite honest!
Reply 15
Original post by Jessica2020
Yes I’m dead set on leicester for sure as I live in Leicester and have a job here and can’t really afford going into another city if that makes sense!

My only concern is without foundation year, uni of Leicester wants all B’s in English math and sciences which I have all C’s in and I wouldn’t be able to just do the access course and use my GCSE’s as entry requirements for medicine without foundation year.

It's unrealistic to only apply to Leicester. You have 4 medschool options and you'll really need to spread your net wider and use all 4. Medicine is *extremely* competitive - most applicants receive 4 rejections... so you need to maximise your chances as much as possible.

And don't forget you will get a maintenance loan to help with living costs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, I am going to broaden my search and when it is time to apply I will choose my 2nd/3rd/4th preferred choices.

Original post by Doonesbury
It's unrealistic to only apply to Leicester. You have 4 medschool options and you'll really need to spread your net wider and use all 4. Medicince is *extremely* competitive - most applicants receive 4 rejections... so you need to maximise your chances as much as possible.

And don't forget you will get a maintenance loan to help with living costs.
Reply 17
Original post by Jessica2020
Yes, I am going to broaden my search and when it is time to apply I will choose my 2nd/3rd/4th preferred choices.

Ah that's good.

Good luck! :smile:
Thank you

Original post by Doonesbury
Ah that's good.

Good luck! :smile:
Hi, i'm also mature student, 30 now! going on 31 in April, i don't care if i am 36 when i graduate im going for it, so i'm starting an access course this year. Can I ask what is good work experience? for nursing they say healthcare assistant etc, is that good for medicine too? I used to be a healthcare assistant :smile: thanks in advance.