Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mature student wants to go into medicine without a levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently only working two days a week so studying shouldn’t be a problem.

May I ask why an English grade C would have to be retaken? As on the website for foundation year they have mentioned a C in all the academic subjects should be fine, and the minimum would be a BBB in a levels. Of course I would try an exceed my a levels as much as I can to an AAA.

(Original post by ecolier)
    Your main concern should be your Grade C in English - make sure you mention this as they have specifically stated that for all applicants. There is currently a thread on the "Medicine" section of this forum for a potential applicant with C in GCSE English. I think the general advice given to for them to retake that subject. So you w
    ould have to factor that in too - not just A-Levels but GCSE English.

If you are only going to be staying in Leicester, then the option would be to take A-Levels (you will need AAA) and resit your English GCSE, while getting some work experience and preparing for UKCAT. This is while you are also working part time... slightly unrealistic in my opinion. However if maybe you are only working once every several nights, or several weekends then maybe it is possible? You will need to be very determined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessica2020)
    I am currently only working two days a week so studying shouldn’t be a problem.

May I ask why an English grade C would have to be retaken? As on the website for foundation year they have mentioned a C in all the academic subjects should be fine, and the minimum would be a BBB in a levels. Of course I would try an exceed my a levels as much as I can to an AAA.
    If you are going in a Foundation course which leads straight on to a Medical degree than it is fine, however you will be reapplying to Leicester at Year 1 (after the Access to Medicine course) and Leicester require all applicants to have at least Grade B at English GCSE.

I admire your positivity though and I really hope you succeed. Feel free to leave a message or PM if you want to keep me up to date about how you're doing in your application!

ReputationRep:
    This makes sense! I am going to enquire about the A levels with a few colleges and whether they are willing to let on a mature student. I will also give the University a call and try and speak to someone from the Medicine board based on requirements and making sure I won't miss any.

Thank you for being super informative! it has helped me a tonne! I will definitely keep you updated on how this goes May I also ask whether you are a former Medical student?

If you are going in a Foundation course which leads straight on to a Medical degree than it is fine, however you will be reapplying to Leicester at Year 1 (after the Access to Medicine course) and Leicester require all applicants to have at least Grade B at English GCSE.

I admire your positivity though and I really hope you succeed. Feel free to leave a message or PM if you want to keep me up to date about how you're doing in your application!

ReputationRep:
    This makes sense! I am going to enquire about the A levels with a few colleges and whether they are willing to let on a mature student. I will also give the University a call and try and speak to someone from the Medicine board based on requirements and making sure I won't miss any.

Thank you for being super informative! it has helped me a tonne! I will definitely keep you updated on how this goes May I also ask whether you are a former Medical student?
    Yes I am a former medical student - i.e. a doctor I no longer work in the East Midlands though, but if you do need more information just ask!

ReputationRep:
    Haha omg that is great!! Due to the replies from you I was curious so I thought I'd ask.
    I will definitely ask if I need anymore info Just waiting to get in to University if I'm quite honest!

Yes I am a former medical student - i.e. a doctor I no longer work in the East Midlands though, but if you do need more information just ask!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes I’m dead set on leicester for sure as I live in Leicester and have a job here and can’t really afford going into another city if that makes sense!

My only concern is without foundation year, uni of Leicester wants all B’s in English math and sciences which I have all C’s in and I wouldn’t be able to just do the access course and use my GCSE’s as entry requirements for medicine without foundation year.
    It's unrealistic to only apply to Leicester. You have 4 medschool options and you'll really need to spread your net wider and use all 4. Medicine is *extremely* competitive - most applicants receive 4 rejections... so you need to maximise your chances as much as possible.

And don't forget you will get a maintenance loan to help with living costs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am going to broaden my search and when it is time to apply I will choose my 2nd/3rd/4th preferred choices.

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's unrealistic to only apply to Leicester. You have 4 medschool options and you'll really need to spread your net wider and use all 4. Medicince is *extremely* competitive - most applicants receive 4 rejections... so you need to maximise your chances as much as possible.

And don't forget you will get a maintenance loan to help with living costs.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am going to broaden my search and when it is time to apply I will choose my 2nd/3rd/4th preferred choices.
    Ah that's good.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ah that's good.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.