Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I'm 16 and I can legally drink cider or something with my meal in a restaurant. if I'm out with friends who are my age can I order a cider with my meal or does an adult have to be there?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m pretty sure an adult has to be present with you at the table

ReputationRep:
    Think an adult has to be there. Won't you need some form of ID too to prove you're 16?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Think an adult has to be there. Won't you need some form of ID too to prove you're 16?
    I've no idea. I've only ever had a drink with a meal with one occasion and an adult was with me but they don't ask for id

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple2017)
    I've no idea. I've only ever had a drink with a meal with one occasion and an adult was with me but they don't ask for id
    I mean they didn't ask for id

ReputationRep:
    It might depend on the restaurant. Might be worth bringing some just in case

ReputationRep:
    Watch the first episode of the Inbetweeners ❤. They explain it quite vividly.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You will most likely need an adult there, so at least one person being 18 or over. Sounds like you won't be getting that drink then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    You will most likely need an adult there, so at least one person being 18 or over. Sounds like you won't be getting that drink then
    ahhh that's such a pain, you'd think if I brought my passport as ID to prove that i am in fact 16 that they'd allow me to drink without an adult present
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    ahhh that's such a pain, you'd think if I brought my passport as ID to prove that i am in fact 16 that they'd allow me to drink without an adult present
    No, because the law then says alcohol can only be bought at the age of 18. So no adult, no alcohol. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, you will need an adult. If you're there before 9 you won't have any issue being served without ID if you're at a restaurant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    No, because the law then says alcohol can only be bought at the age of 18. So no adult, no alcohol. Sorry.
    fair enough I suppose. the reason I'm asking is because I'll be on a residential with school for a few nights and id like to go to a nearby restaurant with a few friends. I could ask if one of the teachers could come too as the adult but i dont know if it would go down well if I told the teacher I need her with us in the restaurant so that I can.drink alcohol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    fair enough I suppose. the reason I'm asking is because I'll be on a residential with school for a few nights and id like to go to a nearby restaurant with a few friends. I could ask if one of the teachers could come too as the adult but i dont know if it would go down well if I told the teacher I need her with us in the restaurant so that I can.drink alcohol
    that would not go down well at all. I would drop the alcohol idea, if I was you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    so I'm 16 and I can legally drink cider or something with my meal in a restaurant. if I'm out with friends who are my age can I order a cider with my meal or does an adult have to be there?
    You need to be eating a meal with adults and may need to provide ID.

ReputationRep:
    you must be 18 to buy alcohol and asking a teacher to do this is inappropriate and they aren't allowed to do this, you could get them into problems by simply asking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.