Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend wants to do A-level maths but most likely gonna get a C in gcse Watch

So i have this friend who is srsly keen on taking a-level maths , the only problem is that he's most likely gonna get a C at gcse , mainly because he is taking foundation paper and the teachers are pretty firm with him because he gets c/d as an average on tests . Everytime i talk to him and try to convince him that most colleges won't accept c grade maths gcse for a-level (because most colleges want atleast a B i heard) he tells me to piss of and becomes a real douche to me , calling me an idiot and talking **** about me in front of everyone , any advice on how to handle this plz

ReputationRep:
    Let him roll with it, maybe he'll improve. If he loves maths he will put the effort to get at least a B

ReputationRep:
    Just stay out of it. It's his decision, not yours. Just respect it. It's not your job to tell him what he should or shouldn't be doing.

(Original post by Texxers)
    Let him roll with it, maybe he'll improve. If he loves maths he will put the effort to get at least a B
    isn't it impossible to get a B though if he's doing foundation

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just stay out of it. It's his decision, not yours. Just respect it. It's not your job to tell him what he should or shouldn't be doing.
    so you saying i shouldn't advise him when he's walking into a brick wall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    isn't it impossible to get a B though if he's doing foundation
    Crap, didn't read that part. In that case if he really loves maths, maybe he'll put the effort in to be put on the higher paper...

Honestly, I'd just stay out of it if he starts getting mad at you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. You've tried and he's just ignoring it. Why keep trying? Let him figure it out on his own, but don't be smug about it when it doesn't turn out the way he wants. Just be the supportive friend. I know it's hard but when someone is that stubborn you just have to let them realise it on their own.

(Original post by Texxers)
    Crap, didn't read that part. In that case if he really loves maths, maybe he'll put the effort in to be put on the higher paper...

Honestly, I'd just stay out of it if he starts getting mad at you.
    yeh my bad i should of made it more clear , We did a test at the start of the school year (yr11) to see who was doing higher or foundation , even though he knew we had this test coming (cause they told us before summer started) he messed up and got a D meaning he is being firmly placed in foundation league , idk what to do

ReputationRep:
    You already advised him that he is walking into a brick wall and he told you to "piss off".

You already did the most you can do m8. Just leave him alone.

ReputationRep:
    So i have this friend who is srsly keen on taking a-level maths , the only problem is that he's most likely gonna get a C at gcse , mainly because he is taking foundation paper and the teachers are pretty firm with him because he gets c/d as an average on tests . Everytime i talk to him and try to convince him that most colleges won't accept c grade maths gcse for a-level (because most colleges want atleast a B i heard) he tells me to piss of and becomes a real douche to me , calling me an idiot and talking **** about me in front of everyone , any advice on how to handle this plz
    Show him college websites and their required grades for maths? In Year 11 I was predicted a D, after hard work I got a B and was a mark from an A. It’s possible, but he just needs the motivation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Yeah. You've tried and he's just ignoring it. Why keep trying? Let him figure it out on his own, but don't be smug about it when it doesn't turn out the way he wants. Just be the supportive friend. I know it's hard but when someone is that stubborn you just have to let them realise it on their own.
    um i'm not trying to be smug about it , but if you think so , i'll just leave it to him

ReputationRep:
    You can get a B with a foundation paper if you work really hard; if he loves maths that much, he should put the work in. A warning though: I had no difficulty at all getting an A* in GCSE maths and yet despite studying a lot for it last year (year 12/AS) I got a D.

Honestly though it's his decision; it's not up to you to tell him what to do. He'll either sort himself out and get the grades he needs or he won't and there's nothing you can do about it. Focus on your own grades!

EDIT I was wrong, he can't get a B on a foundation paper - I forgot that was only possible in coursework subjects.

(Original post by LRxS)
    You can get a B with a foundation paper if you work really hard; if he loves maths that much, he should put the work in. A warning though: I had no difficulty at all getting an A* in GCSE maths and yet despite studying a lot for it last year (year 12/AS) I got a D.

Honestly though it's his decision; it's not up to you to tell him what to do. He'll either sort himself out and get the grades he needs or he won't and there's nothing you can do about it. Focus on your own grades!
    oh ok i didn't know u can get B in foundation , just out of interest what mark does he need to get on the papers to get a B

ReputationRep:
    um i'm not trying to be smug about it , but if you think so , i'll just leave it to him
    I didn't say you were being smug about it now. I meant when he realises he can't do A-Level maths with a C grade in GCSE, don't be like "I told you so".

(Original post by stoyfan)
    You already advised him that he is walking into a brick wall and he told you to "piss off".

yeh true , i've already decided to leave him to it , thanks

(Original post by stoyfan)

(Original post by Fonzworth)
    Show him college websites and their required grades for maths? In Year 11 I was predicted a D, after hard work I got a B and was a mark from an A. It’s possible, but he just needs the motivation.
    (Original post by LRxS)

this is a good point fonz has raised , the college he (and I) are applying to strongly recommend that you get an A , what does this mean exactly for him

ReputationRep:
    oh ok i didn't know u can get B in foundation , just out of interest what mark does he need to get on the papers to get a B
    LRxS you can't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    LRxS you can't
    Ah sorry I forgot that was only for coursework subjects. You CANNOT get a B on foundation papers in linear subjects like maths.

(Original post by LRxS)
    Ah sorry I forgot that was only for coursework subjects. You CANNOT get a B on foundation papers in linear subjects like maths.
    ah ok . that sucks , still about my post above about what the college says

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, he will realise soon enough that he either has to improve or choose an alternate pathway ie. core maths.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.