Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would like to do a psychology degree in September and am wondering what A level subjects people took who are currently doing (or have previously done) a degree in psychology. It would also be helpful if anyone could not what uni they are studying at.

I am predicted to have AAA in Psychology, Law, Film Studies, but am worried that taking Film Studies has hindered my chance of getting into my desired unis (currently weighing up between Uni of Manchester, Uni of Bristol, Uni of Leeds, Uni of Liverpool, Uni of Birmingham + my insurance choice Northumbria).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    UCL

Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy & Ethics and an EPQ in social science

ReputationRep:
    YOu haven't taken the best courses but as with anything make a few ambitious applications, and a few easier ones for reserve, as subject choice isn't everything.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS QUESTION.

Im for Psychology degree. I understand your pain so much I had this exact problem.

I have gotten 4/5 offers in less than 2 days. Chichester, The University of York, The University of Glasgow and plymouth. Chichester, was in less than 24 hours and the rest were all within 1 hour the following day. I applied to The University of Leeds too but haven't yet heard back.

3 of those Unis are Psychology Intergrated Masters courses. Chichesters course is based around working in mental wards and hospitals.

And guess what?

Im doing Drama and English along side my Psychology A-Level.

Screw Biology and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rie.grxnj)

Im for Psychology degree. I understand your pain so much I had this exact problem.

I have gotten 4/5 offers in less than 2 days. Chichester, The University of York, The University of Glasgow and plymouth. Chichester, was in less than 24 hours and the rest were all within 1 hour the following day. I applied to The University of Leeds too but haven't yet heard back.

3 of those Unis are Psychology Intergrated Masters courses. Chichesters course is based around working in mental wards and hospitals.

And guess what?

Screw Biology and Maths.

Thank you for your help, that is so relieving to hear!

Especially Glasgow, I didn't think I'd have a chance but it looks amazing!

Maybe there is hope for me hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by favabeans)
    Hi,

I would like to do a psychology degree in September and am wondering what A level subjects people took who are currently doing (or have previously done) a degree in psychology. It would also be helpful if anyone could not what uni they are studying at.

I am predicted to have AAA in Psychology, Law, Film Studies, but am worried that taking Film Studies has hindered my chance of getting into my desired unis (currently weighing up between Uni of Manchester, Uni of Bristol, Uni of Leeds, Uni of Liverpool, Uni of Birmingham + my insurance choice Northumbria).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I am predicted A*AA in Maths, Psychology and Business Studies, and have applied to UCL, KCL, Bath and Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rie.grxnj)

And guess what?

Screw Biology and Maths.

Your choices are not necessarily bad ones unless you're applying to a university with a strong neuroscience element (and which says on the application forms that they prefer students with at least two science a levels). It's still generally quite good advice to pick "facilitating a levels" (see https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media...ices-print.pdf), and bio/maths/psych, even if a good overall application can compensate for a weaker a level choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    Your choices are not necessarily bad ones unless you're applying to a university with a strong neuroscience element (and which says on the application forms that they prefer students with at least two science a levels). It's still generally quite good advice to pick "facilitating a levels" (see https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media...ices-print.pdf), and bio/maths/psych, even if a good overall application can compensate for a weaker a level choice.
    I do however, think theres no point in doing A Levels you don't enjoy. A levels are hard enough in themselves, its going to be torture plouging through subjects you have no passion for.

Like when am I ever gonna need to know about photosynthesis in psychology? lol

It depends on what uni you apply to, and the course. I'd say check what they're asking for before you pick your subjects. If the Uni doesn't specify then go for it. But it is helpful if your subjects (no matter what you pick) help you understand/develop the skills needed for psychology OR do lots of outside research/reading.

E.g Drama helped with collaboration as well as my understanding of peoples motivations by actually becoming someone else xD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.