Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: Does ur family pressure you to study at the local uni?? Watch

• View Poll Results: Does ur family pressure u to go to the local uni?
    Yes, they are very adamant that I should study locally
    29.03%
    No, they let me study wherever I want
    58.06%
    Family aren't bothered either away/ Not sure
    12.90%

ReputationRep:
    Just asking cuz some families pressure their kids into studying at the local uni and then others encourage them to go anywhere they want, what are your family like?? 😊😊
    MY ANSWER
    My family aren't too bothered but at times they have tried to pressure me to stay at home, I'm the youngest and my mum wants me to stay a baby forever! She really doesn't want me to move far away, but my dad realises that it's my dream to move far away and be able to explore so he encourages me. My sister had issues with depression at her uni which was 50 miles away, she said she wishes she went to the local one and my mum kept telling me about that to scaremonger me, I feel sorry for my sister but we are different ppl, I'll have a completely different experience at uni and I rrly have set my heart on going to one further away.
    HOWEVER, as I've said I very strongly want to go to one further away, so I'm definitely not gonna let her or anyone else stop me!

ReputationRep:
    Don't give in to your mum's pressure.

ReputationRep:
    yep, my parents really want me to go to one 20 mins away from me, and they keep trying to scare me by tell me about cousins who are struggling...but I'm still moving anyway lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Don't give in to your mum's pressure.
    I'm definitely not gonna! I'm not even going to apply there haha, it's my life and she can be upset all she wants but I'm not gonna let her ruin my uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't want me to study locally. They wouldn't be angry if I did, but they would much prefer me to study away so I can be independent.

ReputationRep:
    What about if my parents are adamant I don't go to the local uni? They want me to move out as soon as I go to uni, and I do too, and staying in London would be impossible that way (as I get the minimum student finance)

ReputationRep:
    yeah they basically just wanted me to stay at home and commute to a uni close by, they didn't understand why all the unis i applied to were far, they didn't force me to stay tho

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

Had an unconditional offer from my top choice uni but declined it to stay home and go to a local uni instead just to keep my fam happy. I regret it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply to any local unis and made it clear that I wanted to go long distance. They supported me all the way.

Spoiler:
    Show
    December126, I've moved your thread into this sub-forum for you. And it's a great thread by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't have a choice, but my parents both moved out at 17 and 18 so I think they were pretty happy to see me move away haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Didn't have a choice, but my parents both moved out at 17 and 18 so I think they were pretty happy to see me move away haha
    That's exactly what my dads like! Though he actually moved out at like 22, he wants me to become independent and live my life! 😊😊

ReputationRep:
    My dad jokes that he wants me to go to brunel but i think he understands that sending me there will not make me happy and wont allow me to reach my potential as a student.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Me and my partner have a feeling his daughter will be pressured into staying at home and going to a local university by her mum, whereas I, someone who has actually gone to uni and therefore knows what it's like, feel she'd benefit from moving away much more. If she wants to stay local, I'll have no problem with that, but only if it's her own decision that she's actually looked into and researched.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.