Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To give some background information on my qualifications I have currently obtained a distinction in IT, Applied Science and Applied Law. These were all subsidiaries. With these qualifications I could have gone to a semi good uni and have studied Accounting & Finance however, I chose instead to take a gap year and re take my GCSE Maths. The reason for this was because most "good" unis that I wanted to study Accounting & Finance at required a grade B or higher for GCSE Maths, whereas I only had a C. I preferably would like to study at Newcastle University but ultimately, I just want to study at a top uni so that I can work towards building the best career for me. The requirements for Newcastle University are DDD for entry through BTECs and they "prefer" candidates to have business subjects. A grade A in GCSE maths is also required. This then lead me to enrol at a College and study BTEC Business 90 credit, whilst also re taking my GCSE Maths exam in the hopes of achieving at least a grade B. I am trying my best on balancing out meeting deadlines and revising but it is quite difficult, especially since the 9-1 spec is new to me and I have not studied GCSE Maths in 2 years. My exam takes place in a couple of days and I am worried about not achieving at least a Grade B. If this is the case, then I can take another re sit in June but I don't know how useful this would be as I would obtain my results on GCSE results day, which would be after A level results day, which is the day everyone has their offers. Do you think that Russel group universities such as Newcastle, Sheffield or York would give me a conditional offer for obtaining a sufficient maths GCSE grade, or give me any offer at all. I understand that BTECs are not as credible as A levels which also worries me more on receiving an offer from top universities. I have emailed these universities and they responded with similar replies saying "your whole UCAS application would have to be considered" not really giving me a straight answer. Are my hopes too high, or do I have a chance?

Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.