Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To give some background information on my qualifications I have currently obtained a distinction in IT, Applied Science and Applied Law. These were all subsidiaries. With these qualifications I could have gone to a semi good uni and have studied Accounting & Finance however, I chose instead to take a gap year and re take my GCSE Maths. The reason for this was because most "good" unis that I wanted to study Accounting & Finance at required a grade B or higher for GCSE Maths, whereas I only had a C. I preferably would like to study at Newcastle University but ultimately, I just want to study at a top uni so that I can work towards building the best career for me. The requirements for Newcastle University are DDD for entry through BTECs and they "prefer" candidates to have business subjects. A grade A in GCSE maths is also required. This then lead me to enrol at a College and study BTEC Business 90 credit, whilst also re taking my GCSE Maths exam in the hopes of achieving at least a grade B. I am trying my best on balancing out meeting deadlines and revising but it is quite difficult, especially since the 9-1 spec is new to me and I have not studied GCSE Maths in 2 years. My exam takes place in a couple of days and I am worried about not achieving at least a Grade B. If this is the case, then I can take another re sit in June but I don't know how useful this would be as I would obtain my results on GCSE results day, which would be after A level results day, which is the day everyone has their offers. Do you think that Russel group universities such as Newcastle, Sheffield or York would give me a conditional offer for obtaining a sufficient maths GCSE grade, or give me any offer at all. I understand that BTECs are not as credible as A levels which also worries me more on receiving an offer from top universities. I have emailed these universities and they responded with similar replies saying "your whole UCAS application would have to be considered" not really giving me a straight answer. Are my hopes too high, or do I have a chance?

Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.