Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can i work 12 hours a week and get AAA Watch

ReputationRep:
    If i work 6 hours each on saturday and sunday and continue to work hard, will i get AAA or is it impossible?

ReputationRep:
    Not impossible but u need to balance work and time to do relax- or ur gonna stress ur self out. In my opinion any time ur not spending on revision on the weekend u should be relaxing and doing extra curricular activities.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appazap)
    If i work 6 hours each on saturday and sunday and continue to work hard, will i get AAA or is it impossible?
    I worked up to 38 hours pw during A levels and I got AAB, so yes I would've thought 12 is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    Not impossible but u need to balance work and time to do relax- or ur gonna stress ur self out. In my opinion any time ur not spending on revision on the weekend u should be relaxing and doing extra curricular activities.
    yeah tbf i do have a problem with stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I worked up to 38 hours pw during A levels and I got AAB, so yes I would've thought 12 is fine
    you must be really smart, how did you cope?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely yes.

ReputationRep:
    yeah tbf i do have a problem with stress
    If you feel that you can cope with working 12 hours a week and do not get overly stressed then do it. However if you feel overworked and stressed cut back the hours. A lot of people I know work 8 hours a week and some do work 12-15 hours but usually do a few hours after school.

ReputationRep:
    I missed a lot of school (because I was working) so I just learnt to study more efficiently. You don't need to do hours and hours and hours of work, you need to work smart and look at past papers/mark schemes for any subject you're doing to work out what they're looking for and then learn from that

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking us? This is on YOU. Only you have the power to get those A's and if you think working 12 hours a week will help you with that then go ahead. But remember Quality > Quantity, its how you use your time and not how many hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    If you feel that you can cope with working 12 hours a week and do not get overly stressed then do it. However if you feel overworked and stressed cut back the hours. A lot of people I know work 8 hours a week and some do work 12-15 hours but usually do a few hours after school.
    Yeah this had helped a lot thank you. I think my stress is caused by the fact that i feel like i need to be constantly revising. my eczema has completely flared up because of it

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage to attend all your lessons and do 38 hours a week?

ReputationRep:
    But doesn't that take up most of the "productive hours" in your day on the weekend?
    I'm not aware of your hours but think about it carefully.. maybe only work on either Saturday or Sunday?

I'm also thinking of taking up 12 hours of work a week but I have no college on Mondays and mornings/afternoons when I don't have to be in so there's flexibility for me to work during weekdays.

If you're school timetable is similar then I recommend you consider doing the same. But idk, maybe try it out at first and see if it's not too stressful for you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    How did you manage to attend all your lessons and do 38 hours a week?
    I didn't. My attendance by the end of 2nd year of A levels was around 40%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOA_)
    But doesn't that take up most of the "productive hours" in your day on the weekend?
    I'm not aware of your hours but think about it carefully.. maybe only work on either Saturday or Sunday?

I'm also thinking of taking up 12 hours of work a week but I have no college on Mondays and mornings/afternoons when I don't have to be in so there's flexibility for me to work during weekdays.

If you're school timetable is similar then I recommend you consider doing the same. But idk, maybe try it out at first and see if it's not too stressful for you..
    Yeah my timetable is so that I get fridays off and soon i will be getting wednesdays off, so i feel that it could be manageable. Especially as we approach the end of learning content

ReputationRep:
    I didn't. My attendance by the end of 2nd year of A levels was around 40%.
    And you thought that was a good idea? And your school accepted that? I know you got the grades and everything, but you're an exception. Didn't you worry that you'd fall behind? Why did you prioritise working over attending lessons? I'm genuinely curious, not moaning at you or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Why are you asking us? This is on YOU. Only you have the power to get those A's and if you think working 12 hours a week will help you with that then go ahead. But remember Quality > Quantity, its how you use your time and not how many hours.
    Yeah this year, im doing more exam practice so hopefully it will help

ReputationRep:
    And you thought that was a good idea? And your school accepted that? I know you got the grades and everything, but you're an exception. Didn't you worry that you'd fall behind? Why did you prioritise working over attending lessons? I'm genuinely curious, not moaning at you or anything.
    I didn't know if it was a good idea or not but what I did know was that I'd always hated school and found lessons pointless, I hated sitting in classes with people just mucking about and asking stupid questions. Not that I was ever the best student anyway but I just found it all a complete waste of my time. My school didn't accept it and threatened to kick me out but at the time I held an offer for Law at UCL (which I missed, but I didn't want to go there anyway - the school pressured me into firming it) so they let me stay. My insurance choice, where I actually wanted to go, had told us they would accept us with AAB and all my AS levels were 95-100% so I worked out I needed something mad like all Cs to get AAB overall. So I decided to work a lot instead and I took a lot of money with me to uni, had paid for all my driving lessons/passed first time, and bought a car by myself at the age of 17, etc.

I'm a firm believer that you need to find what works for you in education and stick to it, I've always learnt more sitting at home with a textbook than I ever have in lessons with other people. I've got an LLB degree, a master's degree and have just started a PhD so I'm pretty confident in how I learn by now tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know if it was a good idea or not but what I did know was that I'd always hated school and found lessons pointless, I hated sitting in classes with people just mucking about and asking stupid questions. Not that I was ever the best student anyway but I just found it all a complete waste of my time. My school didn't accept it and threatened to kick me out but at the time I held an offer for Law at UCL (which I missed, but I didn't want to go there anyway - the school pressured me into firming it) so they let me stay. My insurance choice, where I actually wanted to go, had told us they would accept us with AAB and all my AS levels were 95-100% so I worked out I needed something mad like all Cs to get AAB overall. So I decided to work a lot instead and I took a lot of money with me to uni, had paid for all my driving lessons/passed first time, and bought a car by myself at the age of 17, etc.

I'm a firm believer that you need to find what works for you in education and stick to it, I've always learnt more sitting at home with a textbook than I ever have in lessons with other people. I've got an LLB degree, a master's degree and have just started a PhD so I'm pretty confident in how I learn by now tbh.
    That's pretty interesting to hear. Tbh if I had the balls I'd rather have been at home learning. I hated my lessons too. Teachers just reading off powerpoints for hours.

ReputationRep:
    Keep in mind that during exam season you should be working for 4-6 hours a day. So working for 28-42 hours a week is expected from A-Level students.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty interesting to hear. Tbh if I had the balls I'd rather have been at home learning. I hated my lessons too. Teachers just reading off powerpoints for hours.
    Yeah I never found it helpful. Really for uni you just want to know what yo need to do to get grades, I think all this 'interactive teaching' and technology stuff has gone too far. You can study from a textbook and get an A* for A level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.