Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering if anybody could help me with picking the right highers. I'm aiming to do politics at Glasgow Uni.

I'm thinking of taking these over 5th and 6th year, but I'm not sure if there is anything else i should do that could give me a better chance?

5th Year

History
    Modern Studies
    English
    Economics

6th Year

Admin
    Business Management (crash)
    Accountancy (crash)
    Geography (crash)

I should also have a C/B in N5 Maths and B/A in N5 Chemistry under my belt as well as these highers by the time I leave school. Is it worth taking any advanced highers? Also, do I need to take 5 highers in 5th year to achieve an unconditional offer - even if I'm not applying until 6th?

thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmary02)
    Was just wondering if anybody could help me with picking the right highers. I'm aiming to do politics at Glasgow Uni.

I'm thinking of taking these over 5th and 6th year, but I'm not sure if there is anything else i should do that could give me a better chance?

5th Year

History
    Modern Studies
    English
    Economics

6th Year

Admin
    Business Management (crash)
    Accountancy (crash)
    Geography (crash)

I should also have a C/B in N5 Maths and B/A in N5 Chemistry under my belt as well as these highers by the time I leave school. Is it worth taking any advanced highers? Also, do I need to take 5 highers in 5th year to achieve an unconditional offer - even if I'm not applying until 6th?

thanks!
    Glasgow's made it really complicated to understand on their website, but they want AABB in S5 and then AAAAAA in S6. Weirdly the S5 requirements are lower as they are AAAAB- confusing. It doesn't mention how to get a Unconditional- but high grades will probably do it - there's about 6 variations of the course- it doesn't specify Nat5 grades anywhere.

Link:https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...nguageshighers

ReputationRep:
    For the standard MA (Soc Sci) Politics course, those look like decent choices - the only subject specific requirement they've got is that you must pass Higher English or another Humanities subject (History, Modern Studies, and Economics all qualify as that), so if you feel you could get a better result in a different subject, do it - so long as you pass one of those.

The general policy at Glasgow is that if an applicant meets the standard entry requirements (AAAAB after S5/1 sitting, AAAAAA after S6/two sittings), they will be given an unconditional offer. Applicants who achieve AABB or above in S5 may be given a conditional based on their S6 results (so obviously the better you do in S5, the more likely you are to get an offer and the offer will be easier to meet).

If you are applying during your sixth year (eg. to start uni in September of the same year you leave school), it looks likely you'd need to attain 5 highers at AAAAB to get an unconditional (depending on applicant numbers, there is a chance AAAA might be sufficient). If you are applying after you finish S6 (eg. to start uni the year after), then you can only get an unconditional or a rejection.

For Advanced Highers, Glasgow consider an A and B at AH to be equal to an A at Higher, and a C to be equal to a B at Higher, and will count that alongside your Higher grade in the same subject, so if you feel you've got a better chance of getting a B at an Advanced Higher rather than an A at another Higher, it makes sense to do the Advanced Higher (different universities have different policies on this though, eg. Edinburgh don't dual count Higher and Advanced Higher grades).

It may be worth looking into if you are eligible for a contextual offer - this will reduce the requirements for entry, normally on the condition that you complete some summer school thing at Glasgow Uni, more information can be found here: https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/wideningparticipation/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Glasgow's made it really complicated to understand on their website, but they want AABB in S5 and then AAAAAA in S6. Weirdly the S5 requirements are lower as they are AAAAB- confusing. It doesn't mention how to get a Unconditional- but high grades will probably do it - there's about 6 variations of the course- it doesn't specify Nat5 grades anywhere.

Link:https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...nguageshighers
    Thank you! Yeah, I had a look at the entry requirements but I found them really confusing so I thought somebody might know/understand them better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perthite)
    For the standard MA (Soc Sci) Politics course, those look like decent choices - the only subject specific requirement they've got is that you must pass Higher English or another Humanities subject (History, Modern Studies, and Economics all qualify as that), so if you feel you could get a better result in a different subject, do it - so long as you pass one of those.

The general policy at Glasgow is that if an applicant meets the standard entry requirements (AAAAB after S5/1 sitting, AAAAAA after S6/two sittings), they will be given an unconditional offer. Applicants who achieve AABB or above in S5 may be given a conditional based on their S6 results (so obviously the better you do in S5, the more likely you are to get an offer and the offer will be easier to meet).

If you are applying during your sixth year (eg. to start uni in September of the same year you leave school), it looks likely you'd need to attain 5 highers at AAAAB to get an unconditional (depending on applicant numbers, there is a chance AAAA might be sufficient). If you are applying after you finish S6 (eg. to start uni the year after), then you can only get an unconditional or a rejection.

For Advanced Highers, Glasgow consider an A and B at AH to be equal to an A at Higher, and a C to be equal to a B at Higher, and will count that alongside your Higher grade in the same subject, so if you feel you've got a better chance of getting a B at an Advanced Higher rather than an A at another Higher, it makes sense to do the Advanced Higher (different universities have different policies on this though, eg. Edinburgh don't dual count Higher and Advanced Higher grades).

It may be worth looking into if you are eligible for a contextual offer - this will reduce the requirements for entry, normally on the condition that you complete some summer school thing at Glasgow Uni, more information can be found here: https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/wideningparticipation/
    Thanks so much! You've really helped me understand this better.

So it's probably worth taking admin (easy so not hard to get an A in it) in fifth year and then either another higher or advanced higher English/History (my strongest subjects) in order to try and ensure an unconditional offer.

I had a look at the contextual offer thing and found it kind of difficult to figure it out - but I'll be tagging along when my sister goes on open days this year so perhaps I'll have the chance to ask then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.